What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gspannu

Query on WAN DNS Server vs LAN DNS Server.

I have tried searching the forums but could not get a clear answer; hence asking it here. This is my first ASUS router; hence maybe a NOOB question.

My setup:
  • VDSL Modem - for connection to Broadband ISP
  • ASUS RT-AX88U - as router (192.168.1.1), serving DHCP
  • A RaspBerry Pi (192.168.1.10) on latest Raspbian Buster - this is wired ethernet to the router with a static IP address. The Raspberry is running a cached recursive DNS Server (Unbound, Anonymised DNSCrypt and a few more bells whistles)
  • Client devices on wireless, and some wired up

What I wish to do:
I want all my client devices (wired, wireless) to use the Recursive DNS Server running on the Raspberry (192.168.1.10) instead of the default ISP.

Questions:
The ASUS router has 2 places for making the specific DNS Server (192.168.1.10) entry.
LAN section and WAN section.
I think I can put the DNS entry in either of the 2 locations, and it should work. However,
  1. What is the preferred location to set DNS Server (LAN section or WAN section)? Why?
  2. Any particular benefits or problems with one over the other?
Thanks.

(Long term: I will run Anonymised DNSCrypt from the ASUS router itself; as I am aware that it is possible with Merlin, Entware and some scripting, but that project is for next month)

I think I can put the DNS entry in either of the 2 locations, and it should work. However,
  1. What is the preferred location to set DNS Server (LAN section or WAN section)? Why?
  2. Any particular benefits or problems with one over the other?
Thanks.

(Long term: I will run Anonymised DNSCrypt from the ASUS router itself; as I am aware that it is possible with Merlin, Entware and some scripting, but that project is for next month)

Did you ever get this resolved. I was curious about the multiple entries the gui config as well. My instinct would be that since you're running your pi for recursive DNS caching inside your LAN then you'd want to use the LAN entries for your DNS.

The WAN entries would be for specifying offsite custom DNS servers that provide specific services like dynamic dns or ad filtering.

Did you ever get this resolved. I was curious about the multiple entries the gui config as well. My instinct would be that since you're running your pi for recursive DNS caching inside your LAN then you'd want to use the LAN entries for your DNS.

The WAN entries would be for specifying offsite custom DNS servers that provide specific services like dynamic dns or ad filtering.

I am now running Unbound on the router itself - so the Raspberry Pi is no longer in circuit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!