What's new

AX88U Memory usage drops after Mesh node set up

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Apprentice

Occasional Visitor
As the title suggest, I've reconfigured my network to use my AX56 as a Mesh node, and noticed that ram usage on the primary router dropped from around 970mb/1gb to now only 730 (without rebooting).

That's nice!

But is that behaviour normal and expected? Or might it suggest that something is wrong somewhere?

Yes, RAM use varies.

It is wrong to monitor it (obsessively).

You perhaps have USB storage attached. The system dropped the cache. When you start using your USB drive again the RAM usage will go back to about 97%. Normal and expected. AiMesh has little to do with it.
Thanks very much. Yes, I do have a disk attached, and monitoring ram usage obsessively just now while transferring a file I see ram usage increased roughly by the file size.

Is there any way to purge the cache or run a cron job to clear it? (the Router seems to running better with more ram headroom)

Is there any way to purge the cache or run a cron job to clear it?

Better plug your USB disk somewhere else. There is a way to drop caches, but the moment you start using the disk your RAM will be used 97%. For ocasional file transfers it's okay, but If you start doing NAS like large transfers your router may crash. This is a router and not a NAS.

Better plug your USB disk somewhere else. There is a way to drop caches, but the moment you start using the disk your RAM will be used 97%. For ocasional file transfers it's okay, but If you start doing NAS like large transfers your router may crash. This is a router and not a NAS.
Thanks, will bear this in mind!

Have been using the attached ssd very occasionally to back up some medium sized virtual machine weighing 40-60gb

Have only recently started to tweak this router, and have had a lot of problems with vpn stability. So trying to figure out what sort of load it can handle. But if I am interpreting your comment correctly that is only an issue during actual file transfer, and should not have later knock on effects?

In short - I can crash any 0.5/1GB RAM Asus router without touching it with file transfers only. This firmware option is there mostly for marketing purposes. You are going to remember what I've said one day when you need your backups and find them corrupted and unusable. Don't trust it too much.

In short - I can crash any 0.5/1GB RAM Asus router without touching it with file transfers only. This firmware option is there mostly for marketing purposes. You are going to remember what I've said one day when you need your backups and find them corrupted and unusable. Don't trust it too much.
Thanks very much for the clarification! Sorry to ask more stupid questions but do you know if the router load is roughly identical regardless of whether files are transferred over wifi or wired connections?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!