What's new

AX88U - Sonoff Tasmota woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tubbs Tattsyrup

New Around Here
My ax88u is running with AsusMerlin 386.3.2 with a mix of clients including several Sonoff Tasmota devices.
Every so often, one of the Sonoff Tasmota devices loses connection. When I look in Network Map, devices, wifi, 2.4, I can see the device, briefly, before it disappears, only to reappear a few seconds later. This then continues in this cycle until I reboot the router. After a reboot the device connects, but, after a while, one of the other Sonoff Tasmota devices looses connectivity as above.
A week ago I did the nuclear reset and rebuilt the router from the bottom up. All was well for a couple of days, but it has now started to occur again. Only ever with the Sonoff Tasmota devices.
I thought that this may be a DHCP problem, to do with the number of clients, so I tried the YASDHCP add on. The same thing occurred. I have clients (approx 10 on 2.4 GHz, 6 on 5GHz and 4 wired connections.
I also have a AX68U router as a mesh node running.
I would appreciate any ideas of a solution or similar experiences from others as it is driving me quite mad.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

My ax88u is running with AsusMerlin 386.3.2 with a mix of clients including several Sonoff Tasmota devices.
Every so often, one of the Sonoff Tasmota devices loses connection. When I look in Network Map, devices, wifi, 2.4, I can see the device, briefly, before it disappears, only to reappear a few seconds later. This then continues in this cycle until I reboot the router. After a reboot the device connects, but, after a while, one of the other Sonoff Tasmota devices looses connectivity as above.
A week ago I did the nuclear reset and rebuilt the router from the bottom up. All was well for a couple of days, but it has now started to occur again. Only ever with the Sonoff Tasmota devices.
I thought that this may be a DHCP problem, to do with the number of clients, so I tried the YASDHCP add on. The same thing occurred. I have clients (approx 10 on 2.4 GHz, 6 on 5GHz and 4 wired connections.
I would appreciate any ideas of a solution or similar experiences from others as it is driving me quite mad.

Just found your report because I was trying to understand one issue here...

I've just added (really, few hours ago...) 4 Sonoff Mini devices and none of them appear in the aiMesh Tab (doesn't matter if they are connected in the main router or node).
For the ones in Main Router's "reach" I can see the Mini's connected only in the Wifi Log tab... I'm also seeing these messages in the log
Dec 28 19:01:59 kernel: <MAC> not mesh client, can't update it's ip
That doesn't bothers me but just to share a possible similar situation. I Hope mine doesn't loose wifi connection over time.

Thanks.

Thank you for posting this - i too was / are being driven pretty crazy by this also. I am running an RT-AX88U on stock firmware and have a Sonoff Zigbee Bridge with Tasmota which has recently started playing up in exactly the same way as you describe. Initially i noticed that certain Zigbee switches (not all) were switching themselves off at the same time each day - after lots of head scratching and checking for rogue automations i spotted that the time synced with the DHCP lease refresh time. Turns out when that happened my Sonoff would fall off the wifi and in the process appear to send some sos which knocked off the switches.

Anyway - this Sonoff has been happily running on the network for approx 12 months now with no issues or changes so really not sure what has started this. At the moment i am not sure if this is a tasmota issue or a router firmware issue. The router firmware being the only thing that has been updated over the last 12 months.

At the moment the device (once off the network) will not reconnect without either rebooting the router or toggling the wifi - very frustrating.

I run AI-Mesh with 2 AC68Us and have been doing for a good while now. Really at a loss as to what has changed.

At the moment i am leaning towards migrating my Zigbee network to a new coordinator and then reflashing the ZbBridge to see if that resolves anything - but cant do this until i have made the switch to the new coordinator.

SOLVED

No matter how I configured the AX88U it just would randomly fail to connect Sonoff/Tasmota 2.4GHz clients. I tried every conceivable combination of options, to no avail, but I now seem to have found a solution. I now run DHCP on Pihole instead of the ax88u and all seems good. Ordered one of these to progress to a pfsense based router soon. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004822965821.html. Hopefully I can milk some value out of the asus in AP only mode.