What's new

AX88U - trouble joining Wi-Fi after ~35 clients are connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theirongiant

Regular Contributor
I have been having this issue for a few revisions now where some devices require multiple attempts to associate before it succeeds. We moved into a house and started adding a few 'smart' devices, so there are more clients on the network than before. I have no AiMesh nodes configured.

edit: the router has 386.2beta1, but I think this issue has been present since 386.1.

Dual Band is enabled because most of the smart devices are talking 802.11n @ 2.4GHz, while the computers and smart phones are using 802.11n/ac @ 5GHz. LAN DHCP pool is 192.168.11.100 - 192.168.11.249. I don't think this is pool exhaustion with only 35 devices. I have a few static DHCP reservations in the .01 - .99 range, which does not overlap the general DHCP pool of .100 - .249.

Is there any known issue with more than 32 clients? Should I check some of my advanced wifi settings? The system logs don't show an obvious reason why the client fails to associate.

Last edited:
I have not had problems connecting more than 60 devices to my AX88U.

For me, I also have several DHCP reservations, but spread across the default IP range 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254
Beyond aesthetics, any reason why you are specifying one range for reservations and another for everything else?

One test would be to revert your general DHCP pool to the default range and another would be to use 192.168.1.xx instead of 192.168.11.xx

Sounds like a problem that needs some trial-and-error'ing and getting some data points of what helps and what doesn't.

I have a few devices that I wanted static reservations for, like servers and printers. But I could move their IPs to a lower part of the range like 1-25.

What I mean is you should change your general DHCP pool back to the full default range 192.168.xx.2 - 192.168.xx.254 regardless of what DHCP reservations you specify.
Let the router manage the reservations within the full default general DHCP pool; you don't need to carve out a range for the general pool and another distinct range for your reservations.

Additionally, make sure your reservations are between the full default range; specifically don't use .1 as that's typically reserved for the router's IP itself.

Attachments

• Router_IP.png
    Router_IP.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DHCP_Range.png
    DHCP_Range.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I have been having this issue for a few revisions now where some devices require multiple attempts to associate before it succeeds. We moved into a house and started adding a few 'smart' devices, so there are more clients on the network than before. I have no AiMesh nodes configured.

edit: the router has 386.2beta1, but I think this issue has been present since 386.1.

Dual Band is enabled because most of the smart devices are talking 802.11n @ 2.4GHz, while the computers and smart phones are using 802.11n/ac @ 5GHz. LAN DHCP pool is 192.168.11.100 - 192.168.11.249. I don't think this is pool exhaustion with only 35 devices. I have a few static DHCP reservations in the .01 - .99 range, which does not overlap the general DHCP pool of .100 - .249.

Is there any known issue with more than 32 clients? Should I check some of my advanced wifi settings? The system logs don't show an obvious reason why the client fails to associate.
By "static DHCP reservations" do you mean static addresses assigned at the client or manually assigned at the router? I almost agree with CLK but have no issues with a combo of Static and Manually Assigned IP addresses. Also have no problem with starting the DHCP pool at .100. I have an Asus router in an office with a DHCP pool of .30 to .199 and Manually Assigned as well as static addresses in the .2 to .29 and .200 to .254 range. Just keep a list of what is what so you do not get conflicts. That same office gets up to 50+ addresses assigned via DHCP daily. No problems.

By "static DHCP reservations" do you mean static addresses assigned at the client or manually assigned at the router? I almost agree with CLK but have no issues with a combo of Static and Manually Assigned IP addresses. Also have no problem with starting the DHCP pool at .100. I have an Asus router in an office with a DHCP pool of .30 to .199 and Manually Assigned as well as static addresses in the .2 to .29 and .200 to .254 range. Just keep a list of what is what so you do not get conflicts. That same office gets up to 50+ addresses assigned via DHCP daily. No problems.
Static DHCP reservations filled into the DHCP table on the router. Manually assigning at the client is a fast track to an IP conflict.