What's new

Ax88U Wlan crashes with external hard drive !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Funnyland123

Regular Contributor
Hello, I have an external 6 TB hard drive with external power supply attached to my AX88U with the latest Merlin software.

There are backups, films, etc. If this is not used, the hard drive goes into sleep mode.

From time to time it starts up for no reason whatsoever, even if it is not accessed and then goes back to sleep mode.

Regarding the error: I noticed that when the HDD starts up now and then and not always, the complete router restarts for no reason and everything collapses until everything is started up again.

Oddly enough, only sporadically. Does anyone have an idea why this is because it's really annoying.

I know you state the hard drive has its own power, but I'd wonder if momentarily it is exceeding the power the router can supply during power up. If it's so instantaneous I don't even know that using a USB power monitoring device would be enough to capture the issue. I'd also worry about damage to the hardware that drives the USB ports!

That might be the case, but it's funny sometimes it goes for a while and then all of a sudden everything goes away. Automatic reboot.
I also let the router reboot automatically during the night. So that he doesn't fill himself up
I know you state the hard drive has its own power, but I'd wonder if momentarily it is exceeding the power the router can supply during power up. If it's so instantaneous I don't even know that using a USB power monitoring device would be enough to capture the issue. I'd also worry about damage to the hardware that drives the USB ports!

1 open Diversion v4.3.2
j5 open uiDivStats v3.0.2
ep manage Entware packages
dc manage Disk check script dcl show log
fd run Format disk fdl show log
sw manage Swap file /mnt/30GB 2.0G

Diversion+Entware with 32gb USB stick 2gb swap file
Then your disk will be constantly being woken up because Diversion is writing to it.

OK. I thought Diversion was installed on the HDD.

The HDD will occasionally spin up if you're sharing it with Samba or using it as a media server.
It also runs up from time to time when the PC isn't even on. But then it goes back into sleep mode after a short time

The router-based sleep mode is turned off, it's internal to the hard drive or the case seems to regulate it automatically.

Check for manufacturer utility for settings change. I use WD external drives with sleep disabled, for example.

So I think I have found the error, it is due to "uiDivStats" which, according to my time calculation, makes an update in the log file at 8 a.m. and then starts again.

Is it possible to change the time or is it just deinstallation?

Oct 13 06:58:53 ovpn-client1[18287]: AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #8446757 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Oct 13 06:58:53 ovpn-client1[18287]: AEAD Decrypt error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #8446758 ] -- see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings
Oct 13 07:00:00 uiDivStats: Starting stat update
Oct 13 07:00:07 uiDivStats: Stats updated successfully
Oct 13 07:00:15 reboot_scheduler: [timecheck] The system is going down for reboot
Oct 13 07:00:15 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/services-stop
Oct 13 07:00:15 ntpd: Stopped ntpd
Oct 13 07:00:15 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Oct 13 07:00:15 kernel: IDPfw: Exit IDPfw

If the problem occurs at 8 a.m. why are you showing us the log entries for 7 a.m.? How does that relate to your problem of the router crashing when the HDD is accessed?

Your log show uiDivStats running successfully at 7 a.m. Then you have setup a scheduled reboot also for 7 a.m. which happens 15 seconds later.

If the problem occurs at 8 a.m. why are you showing us the log entries for 7 a.m.? How does that relate to your problem of the router crashing when the HDD is accessed?

Your log show uiDivStats running successfully at 7 a.m. Then you have setup a scheduled reboot also for 7 a.m. which happens 15 seconds later.

Oct 13 07:58:20 ovpn-client1[2959]: VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=de1098.nordvpn.com
Oct 13 07:58:20 ovpn-client1[2959]: Outgoing Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Oct 13 07:58:20 ovpn-client1[2959]: Incoming Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Oct 13 07:58:20 ovpn-client1[2959]: Control Channel: TLSv1.3, cipher TLSv1.3 TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384, peer certificate: 4096 bit RSA, signature: RSA-SHA512
Oct 13 08:00:00 uiDivStats: Starting stat update
Oct 13 08:00:06 uiDivStats: Stats updated successfully
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth7: STA 74:ec:b2:aa:75:d8 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth6: STA e0:09:bf:67:5f:84 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth6: STA ac:cf:23:19:66:21 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth6: STA 9c:ae:d3:ce:b1:fd WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth7: STA 74:ec:b2:58:90:87 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth6: STA 2c:f4:32:c2:a0:b5 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:02:09 hostapd: eth6: STA 70:03:9f:8a:47:06 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 13 08:54:10 ovpn-client1[2959]: VERIFY OK: depth=2, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN Root CA

The automatic restart is at 7 a.m. in the morning and at 8 a.m. it accesses the hdd and the entire router restarts at 8 for no reason. Nothing works anymore. And from 8 it is in the log

There's nothing in the log you've shown that indicates that the router restarted at 8 a.m (or any other problem). How are you determining that the router restarted?

Maybe it's a hardware fault.

Save the system log (System Log - General Log) and upload all of it to pastebin.com. Then post a link to it so we can try to determine the problem.

What firmware version are you using? "latest" isn't helpful.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!