1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AX89X/AX88U AIMesh Link Aggregation ethernet backhaul or just AP?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by mbze430, Jun 3, 2020.

1. mbze430

mbze430 Regular Contributor

According to this documentation https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035140/

AIMesh works only if they are connected to each other? (WAN port to LAN)

I have a few questions for current AIMesh users.

1) Am I only ALLOWED to use the ethernet backhaul from router node to another node? or can it go to a switch?
    2) In AIMesh node mode, can you still enable Link Aggregation with the WAN + Port 4? and LAN 1 + LAN 2

My new house wiring plan will be AX89X as the main router and having 2x AX88U. I want enable link aggregation on the AX88U.

I never used AIMesh and my previous house I have just been using AP mode. I use LAN aggregation to my managed switches

But with my new place I want to try the mesh without devices dropping then reconnect.

Some of you will probably ask why you need to have a 2x 1Gbit backhaul. I have a few AX devices and my whole house is wired with fibre in each room as well as CAT7 (yes both). I am just future proofing

Anyway, if I can get this answered then I can plan AP mode or AIMesh mode.

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Part of the Furniture

I would plan for both. Then prove it starting with the one you prefer.

OE