What's new

AX92u as Extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dxcv

Occasional Visitor
When my parent's ISP ran the fiber line to their house, the put the ONT and router in a back bedroom. Most of the living space is in farthest opposite corner of the house through duct work, a garage and plumping, which results in a spotty 5 Ghz signal. Been trying for years to remedy this. Tried stronger routers, Homeplug, Moca (bad cable lines on one side of the house ruined this) and currently have a two node tp-link mesh system deployed..

Would it be possible to wirelessly relocate the main AP to the center of the house? I am thinking the ONT would connect to a dual band ASUS AX router with the 2.4 Ghz turned off and use the 5 Ghz with a hidden SSID to connect to a Tri-band AX92 in extender mode that is more centrally located. The clients would only connect using a second SSID to the AX92. One of the 5 Ghz radios should act as a dedicated backhaul mantaining full speeds, right?

Any help and or suggestions are appreciated.

Well, a wireless "backhaul" would never be the same as a wired one, but yes, what you're suggesting should work. Keep in mind that the RT-AX92U has one 4x4 and one 2x2 5GHz radio though, so you're not going to get the full speed coming out of it. Ideally you want something with dual 4x4 5GHz radios, but that's obviously going to be costly.

Well, a wireless "backhaul" would never be the same as a wired one, but yes, what you're suggesting should work. Keep in mind that the RT-AX92U has one 4x4 and one 2x2 5GHz radio though, so you're not going to get the full speed coming out of it. Ideally you want something with dual 4x4 5GHz radios, but that's obviously going to be costly.
Thank you for the reply. Yes I am aware of the radio configuration. I was just unsure if the backhaul would work when not in AiMesh mode.

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am aware of the radio configuration. I was just unsure if the backhaul would work when not in AiMesh mode.
Right, not sure how that works in a tri-band router to be honest, but it's obviously been possible to set routers (at least from some brands) as range extenders/wireless bridges for some time, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

The way that you do this is share the AX backhaul channel with the clients so they can get 4x4 WiFi 6 speeds.

Real world throughput of the AX radio is about 2.2 Gbps. This means, shared with clients it will give around 1.2 Gbps of client throughput. By real world I mean if you ran an ookla speed test it would top out at those results.

The AX92u also has a dedicated range extender mode.

In all configurations, the default option for the AX92u is to hide it's AX radio as backhaul only. However, overriding this setting and sharing it with the clients has enabled people to get amazing performance. As long as OFDMA is enabled, there won't be any noticeable performance degradation from backhaul sharing. At the end of the day, it's just data and as long as there's enough bandwidth it doesn't matter if it's client or backhaul data.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!