What's new

AX92U & macbook wifi keeps dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kashikaa

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I've had issues with my macbook and Wi-Fi for the past week now. It's just my macbook (and sometimes my phone) that has issues staying connected or connecting at all over my Wi-Fi.
Below here is a log of the last 30 minutes. I sometimes get it to work again by using a VPN service. So I know it's not a hardware issue with my laptop, but likely and IP or DNS issue.
None of my wired devices ever have a drop though, so it's quite strange.

Can anyone think of what might be wrong here?

Log is attached

Attachments

• Log AX92U.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 124
A Class 3 frame is from a STA that is authenticated and associated (see https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/WLAN-class1-class2-class3-frames.html).

The STA is deauthed (disconnected) as far as the AP is concerned, but the STA thinks it is still connected.

So it appears that the Macbook either didn't get the deauth, or disagreed with it and remained connected.

What kind of Wi-Fi is in the Macbook (Wi-Fi 5 or 6). What information can you provide about the Macbook position relative to the AP when this happens or how often it happens?

A Class 3 frame is from a STA that is authenticated and associated (see https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/WLAN-class1-class2-class3-frames.html).

The STA is deauthed (disconnected) as far as the AP is concerned, but the STA thinks it is still connected.

So it appears that the Macbook either didn't get the deauth, or disagreed with it and remained connected.

What kind of Wi-Fi is in the Macbook (Wi-Fi 5 or 6). What information can you provide about the Macbook position relative to the AP when this happens or how often it happens?
My MacBook is in the same room. It's a 2014 model so it has Wi-Fi 5.

It's been working without issue for at least a year with this router.

Have you done a scan to see if there are new SSIDs in the neighborhood.
You could also try changing the control channel. What channel are you using? If you are using 36-48 try a channel in the 149-161 range and vice versa.

Has anything else changed? Router firmware update? Device firmware update?

Have you done a scan to see if there are new SSIDs in the neighborhood.
You could also try changing the control channel. What channel are you using? If you are using 36-48 try a channel in the 149-161 range and vice versa.

Has anything else changed? Router firmware update? Device firmware update?
It's on channel 58. No other routers are on that channel (for 5Ghz at least).

The only changes I made were to the firewall being a little less strict. There's a few webpages that got blocked (shows a DNS error). But nothing I changed would make those pages work. Again only a VPN allows me to access websites with that error.

I've done a firmware upgrade. Read online that it was a wonky update. Did a downgrade to a stable version. Makes no real difference since the issues started in performance unfortunately.

Should have asked this earlier; is your AX92U part of a mesh system?

From log:
Sep 27 11:29:59 crond[1389]: time disparity of 1787304 minutes detected
I don't know what the disparity is that this message refers to. But have you checked that the router and client time/dates are all correct?

From log:

I don't know what the disparity is that this message refers to. But have you checked that the router and client time/dates are all correct?
Yeah these are all correct.

Just now it disconnected the LAN and it stopped sending out the Wi-Fi signal altogether. A reset brought it back, but when logging into the device it makes me set up the device again as new?

Something is clearly wrong. Would it be strange to assume it's a hardware issue?

Would it be strange to assume it's a hardware issue?
That's one possibility.

One thing to try before you go down that road would be to reset all nodes to default and set up the mesh again. Sometimes an upgrade using old settings can cause problems. It shouldn't, but it can happen.

Well I still don't understand what's going on. Yesterday the Wi-Fi turned off altogether. But it did disconnect all Ethernet devices as well before reconnecting them a moment later. Wi-Fi remained off even though the device made no indication of showing this.

I've attached a log of the time this happened. I rebooted both systems and that made Wi-Fi function again. But the same issue remains with my Mac. Every time I open my Macbook I need to connect via a VPN service in order to do anything online on the same Wi-Fi network...

Attachments

• Log AX92Uv2.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 110
Have you check the power connections? Do you have the router on a UPS? Might be time to try q different router.

It looks like my macbook won't reconnect to the Wi-Fi after I close the lid (sleep mode).
Just tried to get it to reconnect but it wouldn't even after getting a valid IP address.

Then I restarted the system and it immediately worked like it should.

Got the log and there's a few dozen class 3 codes that I see with my Mac's mac address in it. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or how to fix this?

Attachments

• Log AX92UV3.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 75

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!