What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlpineMan

Regular Contributor
I've just upgraded my AX92U from 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a today. I do not have AiMesh setup. Instead, I have have other Asus nodes (3 AC68U's and 1 AX92U) all configured in AP mode connected to my main AX92U via CAT6 cable. Prior to the upgrade, I was getting a little over 800mbps download/upload on my Frontier FiOS GB fiber link when connected via wired connections. After the firmware upgrade, my speedtests went down to 150mbps download / 50mbps upload. Funny thing is that when I run the built-in speedtest from the AX92U's web UI (click on Adaptive QoS then choose Internet Speed tab), I've gotten around 600+ mbps download/upload speeds. WiFi internet speedtests have ofcourse been affected, too.

After upgrading the AX92U's firmware, I factory reset it and configured the settings manually to the way it was before.

I've also noticed a bunch of these in the system log:
Dec 31 19:38:16 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Dec 31 19:38:17 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Dec 31 19:38:18 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Dec 31 19:38:22 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Dec 31 19:38:29 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full
Dec 31 19:38:29 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

But after a couple of reboots, those messages haven't come back.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

UPDATE - 1/1/21
I've played around w/ the WAN settings and still no go. I went ahead and downgraded back to 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c firmware, factory reset, then reconfigured my main AX92U manually. My internet speedtests are now back to normal. I've reported the issue to Asus. I'll share what they have to say on this one. But for now, my main AX92U will be on 3.0.0.4_386_40451-g30f1b6c firmware and I'll keep the other AX92U (AP node) on the new 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware.

UPDATE - 1/25/21
Do not use 3.0.0.4.386_41535. The latest AX92U firmware as of 1/25/21 is working great (3.0.0.4.386_41712): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX92U/FW_RT_AX92U_300438641712.zip
I don't know if a factory reset is absolutely necessary after upgrading to this firmware, but I did so anyway and my internet speedtests have been fast even w/ AI Protection, Traffic Analyzer, and OpenVPN turned on. I have an AX92U as my main router and one AX92U and three AC68U's as AP's using MoCA 2.0 wired backhaul.

I have a buddy that is using an AX88U w/ 41700 firmware as his main router and two AX92U's w/ 41712 firmware as his AiMesh nodes using CAT6 wired backhaul. His setup is working great as well.

Last edited:
Hello,
Same problem, do you have QOS activated ? When I disable QOS, speed come back to normal, and you ?

I have exactly the same after this update! Disabling QOS, didnt fix it for me unfortunatelly.

@AlpineMan how did you downgrade to the 40451 firmware. If i try to do that manually, after the update it stays on the newer 41535 firmware.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same after this update! Disabling QOS, didnt fix it for me unfortunatelly.

@AlpineMan how did you downgrade to the 40451 firmware. If i try to do that manually, after the update it stays on the newer 41535 firmware.

Same here. Firmware downgrade failed initially. I had to factory reset first...then downgrade. Then factory reset again and reconfigure my settings manually.

It took me two hours finally, because my node suddenly was nowhere to be found. I had to reset everything manually. But everything is fine now. Working with the old firmware and like it should be, with fast internet speeds. Thank you AlpineMan for the support!

2x AX92U , router> AP set up. Initiated auto firmware upgrade , router first then AP. No issues of any kind seen.

QOS has never been used here.

2x AX92U , router> AP set up. Initiated auto firmware upgrade , router first then AP. No issues of any kind seen.

QOS has never been used here.

Do you have AI Protection or Traffic Analyzer enabled?

Or perhaps, would you mind sharing your settings? Thanks.

Do you have AI Protection or Traffic Analyzer enabled?

Or perhaps, would you mind sharing your settings? Thanks.

No AiProtection or Traffic Analyzer. Simply 1 unit as router , the other is running as an access point ( ethernet backhaul). PPOE connection and pretty much everything else is standard settings.

Have had several upgrades since purchase and always used the auto update in the GUI. All the people I have seen having problems with these routers tried to download and manually flash the firmware.

No AiProtection or Traffic Analyzer. Simply 1 unit as router , the other is running as an access point ( ethernet backhaul). PPOE connection and pretty much everything else is standard settings.

Have had several upgrades since purchase and always used the auto update in the GUI. All the people I have seen having problems with these routers tried to download and manually flash the firmware.

Thank you very much for the info bud. In my case this was an auto update not done manually. However i did have AI protection and traffic Analyzer enabled. i tried disabling both those options. And its a feature so it should work with the update. i also do not have a mesh, its a standalone wireless router.

Same here. Standard set of two ax92u connected via wired backhaul.
Upgraded using web base UI and the wifi is super slow. I get 90mbps on any given client while router speed tests show 500mbps.
Previous version gave me 450mbps on nearly any client.

Does ASUS do any QA testing on their firmware??

For those that got affected by the latest firmware update, perhaps send your feedback to Asus as well via router's web UI feedback form. I think it's under the Administration section.

For those that got affected by the latest firmware update, perhaps send your feedback to Asus as well via router's web UI feedback form. I think it's under the Administration section.
Awesome idea! Done. I sent a full feedback and added a link to this thread in hope they can get this thing working properly again.
Guys please send your feedbacks too. I assume more feedbacks will trigger a quicker response and fix.

Can I downgrade from 3.0.0.4.386_41535 to 3.0.0.4.384.9318 ? or should I wait for a fix ? since this is the only option for a RT-AX86U. My 2.4 Ghz speeds have been affected and I suspect its this upgrade that did something. I have another RT-AX86U on same 3.0.0.4.386_41535 firmware as a wired node.

feedback already sent and their response was really crap. i am currently trying to reset my router to factory default with the new firmware and will report my findings.

feedback already sent and their response was really crap. i am currently trying to reset my router to factory default with the new firmware and will report my findings.

What was Asus's response to your feedback? I haven't received a response yet.

so here is what i was able to do and are my findings

- I was able to test my internet speed at every config change that i made to the router

1 - did a factory reset to the router and started the configuration from Scratch
2 - everything worked fine, up unto the point when I enable AiProtectiona, QoS and Traffic Analyzer

when either of those options are enabled individually or at once, the speed just goes to shirt. please note this is a fresh take at the configuration, i mean starting from scratch/factory restore

the one thing i cannot understand is that, i had all 3 options disabled the last time and it did not make any difference.

Anyways, i guess i will not be using these features, until there is a new firmware or a fix i guess.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!