What's new

AX_86U and Optimum Wi-Fi modem...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cr00zng

Occasional Visitor
Hello, this one puzzles me as to why this is an issue...

The current firmare version is Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7.2 for the AX-86Ut hat had been working flawlessly for a year or so, until now. What has changed is that Optimum has updated my coax connection to fiber, that came with a Wi-Fi cable modem. Not certain who makes the wireless broadband router, but after couple of days my devices cannot connect to my wireless router. My laptops, smart-devices have hard time connecting to the AX-86U, while Roku stick cannoct connect and won't even let me change network setting.

Both broadband routers, Optimum and mine has 2.5 and 5G enabled. I could modify my router configuration if that would make it work, but have no access to the Optimum's router configuration.

Is there a way that the two routers could coexist in this set up?

TIA...

If you want to use your own wi-fi gear, turn off the ISP's router's wi-fi, and plug your gear into its ethernet LAN port(s).

If you don't know how to do that, talk to their tech support. I don't believe that you have "no access" to its configuration, and frankly if my ISP told me that they would soon be my ex-ISP.

Thx tgl...

My wi-fi gear's WAN port have been connected into the ISP's ethernet LAN port, where this setup worked just fine for couple of day after getting the fiber connection.

Updating to ASUSWRT-Merlin 388.1, from version 386.7.2, seemingly resolved most of wi-fi devices connectivity issues. Roku stick still cannot connect of course, but still working on that.

The only access I have to the ISP's wi-fi router is changing the SSID/PWD and check the devices connected. Even that access is via logging in to my account, that doubles as my email account, at the ISP's website; this access is not directly to the wi-fi router's admin/root account. For this reason, I didn't trust the ISP accessing my internal network before and certainly will not with the fiber connection either.

In the US, this is the standard practice for most of the major IPS', be that via coax or fiber connection. With coax, my ISP offered a free wi-fi router that I declined, since it didn't give me full access to the free router's configuration. With fiber, the ISP integrated the cable modem with the wi-fi router, where the cable box is wireless. As such, the only choice had been is to take the wi-fi router.

I am just wondering, will this issue periodically reappear with two wi-fi router with their own 2.5 and 5G access points?

PS: One of the reason the ISP' in the US want to control the provided wi-fi access point is to share customers' internet access. For example, I can connect to my ISP router's shared internet access with my iPhone, using my email account. The bandwidth is limited, but it's better than some lousy, or no cell connection. And no, they did not ask me, if I agree or not...

I don't have fiber from them as they wont connect it but from what I've read there is a way to turn off the wifi on their gateway/ONT;

In addition you should ask Optimum, if you haven't already, to put the gateway in Bridge Mode or tell them BYOM (bring your own modem) mode... your router must be plugs into port 1 on the gateway/ONT. This will prevent double NAT ..though I don't think that should cause problems with the wifi.

Ask on the dslreports optimum forum and I'm sure those folks with fiber can help you with the problem..

Thx RMinNJ...

That's a great find on Reddit and wish I could do that. My cable boxes connect to the wireless network on Optimum/Altice modem, at least in my neck of the wood. Turning off the wifi on the cable modem would shut off the cable boxes as well. That's not something I'd want to do. I forgot about DSL Reports forum, thanks for the reminder.

Bridge mode is an extension of a LAN, that does not support as strong separation as the router does; I do need the strong separation for couple of business computers. My current AX-86U provides that separation and don't have a need to extend the wireless network. As it is, the two Roku sticks in different part of the house reports excellent connection. I did get the Roku stick working, but will probably get a new one next week, it's been acting up anyway. My laptops' wireless connections speed tests show close and/or above the subscribed transfer rate in both direction.

We do have one VPN connection that used here and there, tested it and has no issues. If it does in the future, I'll deal with at that time.

I will look into getting my own wireless cable modem, but if it is anything like the previous non-wireless was that I owned, the cable company still has full access to cable modem.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!