What's new

AXE11000 New Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woymfsu03

Occasional Visitor
It seems the GT-AXE11000 has been updated as of last night.
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_22238-g91b51ed
Problem is it auto updated without auto firmware upgrade being checked on the router.
No firmware release notes have been published on the ASUS website as of yet.
Did notice I got less range on the 6ghz band as I was getting disconnected for poor wifi signal in my bedroom when it has never done that before. Restarted both the router and the phone and still does the same thing. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or even upgraded yet even with auto update disabled.

Yes, I got the same update at 2AM yesterday. It messed up my aimesh nodes and none of them are connecting right now. I woke up trying to figure out the problem and noticed that the firmware was updated on the main router and the 2 nodes, my router's auto update is also OFF, and the official website doesn't even have that firmware available https://www.asus.com/supportonly/gt-axe11000/helpdesk_bios/ Lol i thought someone flashed the hacked firmware to my routers.

I got the same problem the previous time i hit the upgrade button too, i have to manually flash all of them back to a stable version

It just seems the range on this update has tanked completely on all bands. 6ghz is unusable unless you're in the same room as the router now.

I checked and my AXE11000s also received a firmware upgrade without my authorization. Wifi range for all bands seems fine. Interestingly, it was the previous update Version 3.0.0.4.388.21224 72.58 MB 2022/10/17 which messed up my AiMesh wired backhaul. Meaning the AiMesh - Topology tab would indicate that ethernet backhaul was not working, even when the cables were connected, and my devices would randomly be kicked off Wifi. Complained to Asus Tech Support and they said they'd look into it.

All this happening with Auto upgrade turned OFF means few things:

- Auto upgrade ON/OFF is not working reliably
- The previous firmware had critical issue needing urgent fixing
- Asus can disobey your settings preferences when they feel like it
- If your router is in a remote location you may have extra trouble

Forced auto upgrade is not common for ASUS consumer routers, seems targeted, and could be the lesser of two evils. I would re-commission the network from scratch and try to roll with it.

OE

It proves Asus still have reserved an option to do it regardless of user settings though. I have an Asus router working as VPN exit point in another country 6000km away and it's not that easy to re-commission it when it stops working for whatever reason. It has Auto upgrade turned OFF for that reason.

Remote equipment can stop working for 'whatever reason', so you should have a recovery plan for that if it's that important to you. Disabling auto upgrade is not it.

OE

Making sure no one messes with the firmware without my knowledge/approval reduces the chances of recovery needed:

1675437520242.png

Making sure no one messes with the firmware without my knowledge/approval reduces the chances of recovery needed:

View attachment 47662
that's true, or at least Asus could've give us some notifications about this happening. I wasted like an hour trying to troubleshoot the network before noticing the firmware version got changed. And without this thread, I would've had to take all my homelab services down thinking my network is compromised.

Unfortunately, at least for who knows what they are doing - with home routers and "mesh" systems things are going towards automatic updates with no user interaction. I believe it will be required (if not already) for liability reasons. Options are 3rd party firmware "as is" or business class equipment.

I honestly don't mind the auto-updates, as long as they have proper logs or notification ahead of time. I and my brother is working at home and sometimes it's critical to have connection during the weekdays. If they going to force update it, do it over the weekend or something. Also I remembered one time I hit the update from the gui, it flashed the wrong firmware for my XT8, i have HWver1.0 and I believe it flashed the HWver2 firmware to the node.

One time Asus killed number of AX86Us with firmware update. Some folks had to RMA their routers and send them back for replacement. With this firmware quality and quality control Asus is not ready for auto updates. The latest 22068 broke AiMesh for number of different models.

If they going to force update it, do it over the weekend or something.
The auto-update schedule is user-configurable.

There is no user-configurable schedule when auto-update is turned off.

Do you know by chance why they may have forced this update to GT-AXE11000?

I wonder if I'll have the same issue with auto-upgrades on my AX86U. My auto-upgrade is turned off, yet I see these log entries every day around 4am:

Code:
Feb  3 04:14:08 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7761)]do webs_update
Feb  3 04:14:08 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7779)]retrieve firmware information
Feb  3 04:14:08 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7799)]fimrware update check once
Feb  3 04:14:38 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7761)]do webs_update
Feb  3 04:14:38 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7779)]retrieve firmware information
Feb  3 04:14:38 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7794)]fimrware update check first time
Feb  3 04:14:38 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7825)]no need to upgrade firmware

It checks for new firmware and sets a notification for you when update is available.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!