What's new

b/g protection mode questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sinthor

New Around Here
Has anyone tested to see if the b/g protection mode actually works? I have a 2.4ghz network setup for my a/b/g devices and all my .n devices are on the 5ghz network. Seems to work fine except for the known issue of the 5ghz signal strength dropping periodically wherein you then have to reapply router settings to get the signal strength back up.

I noticed the router claims to have this protection mode that would appear to let you run .n devices on the same network as your a/b/g devices without losing speed as you normally would. Has anyone seen if this actually works as advertised? If it does, it would make sense to just switch over to using the further penetrating 2.4ghz signal mode since I don't have a lot of other networks and interference in my neighborhood... Anyone? It SEEMS to be working from my vantage point but I'm not a real techno-geek when it comes to networking, only the development side. :)

So far I have to say that aside from the 5ghz signal dropping periodically, this is a pretty darn good router. My wireless coverage is VASTLY improved over my previous routers and everything seems really good and fast. Not getting my devices dropping connection or speed periodically or any of the other issues I had in the past with other routers. Hopefully they get the 5ghz signal drop issue resolved soon though.

Last edited: