What's new

Back with Netgear R7800 after home burglary and need advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboynm

Regular Contributor
I previously posted about the home burglary so I am not going to revisit that issue; my issues is what I should do with my network.

I got a replacement R7800 and am using Netgear firmware on it - V1.0.2.46. It seems to work fine and hasn't had any issues other than range in the new house. The new house is made from cement with really thick walls so therefore I have issues with 5G range but 2.4G is fine for the most part. My wife wants me to consider getting a mesh network in place of the R7800 so we can have wifi throughout the house; we currently cannot get wifi in her Mom's apartment and a couple of other places. I do not know if I want to have the expense of getting another new router. We cannot move the location of the router due to the construction of the house and where the fiber installation is located.

I haven't been keeping up with wireless networks the last couple of years so could use a lot of guidance. Do you think going to Voxel's custom firmware would help range issues? Do I need to reset the router after flashing new firmware and redo the configuration? We use NordVPN on all our systems. Will Voxel's firmware enable us to set up the router to connect directly to the VPN instead of via each client?

We travel a lot and have to use VPN on our systems wherever we travel. Our systems are all laptops and therefore are taken with us on most occasions.

What would you do in my shoes?

Voxel - Hab keine Angst zu leben!

My understanding is that Voxel uses the same wifi drivers as stock so your range won't change with his firmware.

If I needed to cover more space than what the R7800 can do, I would be looking at a true Mesh system like Eero. Although I know it's costly.

You can still keep the R7800 as a main host router if you want to add a MESH wifi system. You would disable the wifi on the R7800 and had a MESH system in AP mode.

hat is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
Building materials can effect 5Ghz range and performanced.
My understanding is that Voxel uses the same wifi drivers as stock so your range won't change with his firmware.

If I needed to cover more space than what the R7800 can do, I would be looking at a true Mesh system like Eero. Although I know it's costly.

Do you think going to Voxel's custom firmware would help range issues?
No. Should be the same range.

Do I need to reset the router after flashing new firmware and redo the configuration?
Most probably no. Only in the case of problems.

We use NordVPN on all our systems. Will Voxel's firmware enable us to set up the router to connect directly to the VPN instead of via each client?
Could be configured for this. I know that people are using NordVPN with my version.

Voxel.

Can you extend the wire from router if so add couple of ap wired .

If wiring not possible the get range extender

Eap series from tplink
LR from ubiquity

Let us know what you want. Will suggest based on the best model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House is about 3000 sq feet but is made with concrete. Walls are 12 to 18 inches thick so that is why I have signal problems. I guess it is time to get a "mesh" system.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!