What's new

Backplane and switching capacity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

They are not the same, but closely related.

Backplane speed is similar to bus speed in a computer. It defines the bandwidth of the module-to-module interconnect in large multi-module switches. Backplane speed is just one component of total speed.

Switching speed is the rate that a port-to-port transfer can be made.

Most unmanaged and "smart" / managed Layer 3 switches up to at least 24 ports today are non-blocking, i.e. can support full-rated transfer simultaneously on all ports.

They are not the same, but closely related.

Backplane speed is similar to bus speed in a computer. It defines the bandwidth of the module-to-module interconnect in large multi-module switches. Backplane speed is just one component of total speed.

Switching speed is the rate that a port-to-port transfer can be made.

Most unmanaged and "smart" / managed Layer 3 switches up to at least 24 ports today are non-blocking, i.e. can support full-rated transfer simultaneously on all ports.

So backplane is a modular switch's parameter only?
I didn't ask before, but what about forwarding rate [Mpps] ?

Regards

So backplane is a modular switch's parameter only?
I didn't ask before, but what about forwarding rate [Mpps] ?
You might find backplane rate quoted in non-modular switches. But it doesn't really matter.

Forwarding rate is another component of switching speed. It is the speed of the packet processor.

I have one more question. How I know when these parameters are within an acceptable value range? I just know it depends on port quantity.

Kind Regards

You might find backplane rate quoted in non-modular switches. But it doesn't really matter.

Forwarding rate is another component of switching speed. It is the speed of the packet processor.

thanks a lot for all thiggins :)

Best Regards

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!