What's new

Backup from QNAP TS-219P II to Synology DS115j - Solved (maybe)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
Posting here - if I should be in QNAP forum please let me know ...

I have a TS-219P II (4.3.3.0361 firmware) and recently purchased a Synology DS115j (DSM 6.1.5) to use as a separate backup. They are connected via CAT5 thru a 1G switch. Samba and AFP are running on both.
My LAN has a MS win7 workstation and a number of Apple laptops connected.

I setup a Rsync connection (port 873) and run it, but I see that the max speed is 6 MB/s - (so a 5 hr file transfer for a directory containing 150GB) is this normal ?(seems slow to me)

What settings should I look at to increase the speed? or a better way?

Thanks for any help...

Thought I'd update..
I poked around SNB forums and others looking for hints suggestions. I ultimately looked at NIC settings and connection speeds. Both the QNAP and Synology showed 1G connection.. - then I realized that while the Synology was plugged in another room - I realized that that room is connected via a MOCA and the port on the switch showed a 100 connection.. (duh)
Spent some time and co-located the 2 NAS's and a switch. Now I see a transfer speed of 15.6 MB/s
An improvement for sure.. is this the upper limit?

Thanks

Posting here - if I should be in QNAP forum please let me know ...

I have a TS-219P II (4.3.3.0361 firmware) and recently purchased a Synology DS115j (DSM 6.1.5) to use as a separate backup. They are connected via CAT5 thru a 1G switch. Samba and AFP are running on both.
My LAN has a MS win7 workstation and a number of Apple laptops connected.

I setup a Rsync connection (port 873) and run it, but I see that the max speed is 6 MB/s - (so a 5 hr file transfer for a directory containing 150GB) is this normal ?(seems slow to me)

What settings should I look at to increase the speed? or a better way?

Thanks for any help...