What's new

Backup of SVN repository to shared folder on NAS fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloudytechi147

New Around Here
I want to set up an automatic incremental backup of my SVN repositories. Doing that to a local folder of the same PC seems to work, but if I try to write the files directly to a shared folder (I tried 2 different QNAP NAS boxes) I get various errors, always a couple of hundred lines.

I tried

Code:
svnadmin hotcopy C:\SVNRepos\RalfStein \\Nas\home\svn\RalfStein

After 202 lines it returned
svnadmin: E720059: Can't move '\oldnas\home\svn\RalfStein\db\revprops\svn-1AA28066' to '\oldnas\home\svn\RalfStein\db\revprops\203': Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler.

("Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler" means "unexpected network error".)

On a different NAS it returned after 799 lines:

svnadmin: E720059: Can't close file '\nas\home\svn\RalfStein\db\revprops\svn-44790380': Unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler.

I've shut down the svn service, so there's no danger of someone working on svn in the meantime. Still the same problem.

I don't want to use "dump" as it's not incremental. I can manually copy the entire repository by using free network monitoring software and that seems to work. However, I'd like to understand where the problem is coming from.

System:

• VisualSVN V4.3.6 on Windows10
  • SVNadmin --version: 1.14.1
  • The NAS (a QNAP TS453d) provides the SMB-share