What's new

Backup plan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aposti

New Around Here
Hi, I'm looking for some piece of advise.

I'm looking to buy a NAS device to store my family pictures and videos. A pretty simple and common use case.

I first thought of buying a 2-bay device so I can set up a RAID 1 so if one hard drive dies my files would be safe in the second.

But after really thinking it (and reading) I agree that RAIDs are not a good backup plan.

I have been researching different brands (Synology, QNAP, LaCie, Asustor) and all claim to be able to backup the NAS in another NAS or DAS.

However, based on what I've understood, what they actually do is just mirror the NAS drive into the other NAS/DAS. The problem that I see is that mirroring is not a good backup solution. If it was OK, then I could just use a RAID 1, with the two drives mirroring.

I think that what I'm looking for is a backup software such as Apple's Time Machine, or Crashplan -that allow to manage versions and history of the files- that could actually be installed and run in the NAS itself.

The way I'm willing to use the device is upload the files to the NAS (through a shared folder or even a cloud setup) and have the NAS manage the versioning and backup. I don't want the backup software to run on my computer.

As simple and trivial as my use case sounds, I wasn't able to find anything that really fits my needs.

Am I completely wrong?

Thanks in advance for your adivce

I have a 2 bay synology NAS. Here's what I do...
2 volumes, 1 per drive.
No RAID.
vol 1 has all the shares used on the network.
Vol 2 uses synology's time backup for certain VIP folders... Finances, photos, etc. for last 6 months.
Once a day, automatic backup to external USB3 drive that is out of sight to burgulars.
VVIP folders go to SD card in the NAS

These protect for...
Theft of NAS
Human error in deleting files, buggering up files during edits
File system corruption
NAS power supply or CPU failure.
Drive failure

And I have freeware for windows that, as last resort, will read, copy,ext4 formatted NAS drives.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!