What's new

Backup/Restore JFFS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronb55

Occasional Visitor
About to install 384.19_0 to my RT-AC68P and read I need to make back of JFFS.
I did the backup but haven't installed the new firmware, if something goes wrong
I would still be able to access the router to do a restore of the backup JFFS?
That is the only way I know how
thanks

Worse case scenario is you install the firmware and the router doesn't boot up or is unstable. In that situation you would press the reset button to get your router working again (with the default settings). You could then log in and restore your settings and jffs from the backup files you made.

I recall, once you move to 384.19... there is no going back with a restore. We covered that in one of the earlier forums b/c it burned me when I wanted to go back to 384.18. They changed the PW encryption scheme... and you can no longer log in. But then again, maybe I'm mis-remembering or suppressing that nightmare of an upgrade (at least for a few of us...). Stay safe, stay alive. Peace.

@gattaca, I don't believe you're remembering correctly. At the most, a full reset will be required if you downgraded the firmware afterward.

But why anyone would want to do that is beyond me. :)

384.19_0 was (and still is, for many customers) working perfectly, but the 386.1 options available today depending on your router are even better.

@gattaca, I don't believe you're remembering correctly. At the most, a full reset will be required if you downgraded the firmware afterward.
@gattaca's point was regarding going back to an earlier release without invalidating his backup and necessitating a full reset. He is correct about the password issue but it effected releases prior to 384.18 (according to the change log, but maybe some models only got that change in 384.19). So in those cases one would have to reinstall the earlier firmware before restoring from the backup.