What's new

Bandwidth Cap Monitoring Tool?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcwillia1

Regular Contributor
I have moved houses and now have a bandwidth cap. It's easy to solve - I can pay +$30 a month and the cap goes away. But I'm loathe to give Comcast another dollar if I don't have to.

I looked at Glasswire but that appears to be the local computer only. I need a solution that monitors the whole network.

So I think the answer might be the router but I have Google WiFi and as such I don't have access to root functions. So am I just out of luck on that?

Google WiFi does have a total bandwidth counter but I wanted to know is it Netflix, Youtube, etc. I'm trying to hold my kids accountable for how much they are using but if I don't have facts to point to that's more difficult.

One of those gadgets, perhaps?

Red, Blue, Blue Plus have slightly different features.

One of those gadgets, perhaps?

Red, Blue, Blue Plus have slightly different features.

I already have a circle home plus but yah I guess that's an option

@jcwillia1
I completely understand your issue with comcrap!
Fought the war of data usage in my house when the data cap was initiated, I would watch the usage rising, and start to stress. The Calm of not worrying about data usage is so worth the cost :cool: FYI, since we want unlimited we have always gone over the data cap. You really need to discuss the cost increase, since I recently got "bulk email" stating $15 for unlimited data.

@jcwillia1
I completely understand your issue with comcrap!
Fought the war of data usage in my house when the data cap was initiated, I would watch the usage rising, and start to stress. The Calm of not worrying about data usage is so worth the cost :cool: FYI, since we want unlimited we have always gone over the data cap. You really need to discuss the cost increase, since I recently got "bulk email" stating $15 for unlimited data.
Explain that last bit with the bulk email a bit more please.

The spam email comcrap sends to subscribers.
I constantly get bombarded with offers for their other services and "upgrades" to current services.

Just call and talk to a rep, regarding the cost of unlimited data added to your plan.
When they recently announced a price increase, I called several times, until I got an upgraded tv plan and unlimited data for zero price increase.
YMMV and it may take a couple of different reps/phone calls, but I believe in You!

Just call and talk to a rep, regarding the cost of unlimited data added to your plan.
When they recently announced a price increase, I called several times, until I got an upgraded tv plan and unlimited data for zero price increase.
YMMV and it may take a couple of different reps/phone calls, but I believe in You!
Oh god. I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes until I died a horrible death than spend one second on the phone with a Comcast rep.

You think you hate it now, wait until you actually call them!

In case someone comes back to this thread in the future I’ve been using a 2 pronged solution.

1) the xfinity app will report on a 24 hour lag usage which we have been watching religiously. Miraculously, since we have told our kids they can’t stream video for 12 hours a day our bandwidth usage has dropped precipitously.

2) the google home app has fairly robust reporting of data usage by device. (We use google WiFi). So that way I can identify abusers and confiscate devices if needed.

Doesn't sound like a good solution. Are you really going to do this to your family members for $1 savings a day?
Yikes man. Judge much?

this was never a question of should, it was how.

the how has been answered. The should question should go in another thread that I will not participate in.

You could save more if you cut the Internet completely. Just providing a solution how. ;)

If you are going to stay with the isp modem and app, according to their commercials, you should be able to control internet access via their app, as well as full control of your data usage (according to their commercials). Just realized you are on google & not comcrap.
I currently use scripts on my router to know my data movement and status.
Good luck on your endeavors.

Last edited:
Thanks @Tech9
I stand by what I previously stated, since comcrap and their commercials wouldn't lie.
I asked them, and they said I was a Valued customer, and they do everything to help, so I got that going for me!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!