1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Bandwidth limiter not working, Network Maps not showing devices

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by MasterBash, Jun 16, 2019.

  1. MasterBash

    MasterBash Regular Contributor

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2013
    Messages:
    135
    Using 384.11_2 on AC86U.

    I am going crazy trying to set up Bandwidth Limiter. I add the right devices and sometimes it just doesn't work, the devices I set it for still have full access to the speed. I got to disable Bandwidth Limiter, reboot the router, enable it again...

    Not only that, sometimes I can't see the device that uses the bandwidth sometimes, because it doesn't show anywhere... Not on the Network Maps, nor in the Bandwidth Monitor section, until I reboot the router.

    Its annoying me to no end. I wonder if there is a fix for that? or is the only option to use a different router?
     
  2. consorts

    consorts Regular Contributor

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2018
    Messages:
    168
    i'd stick with 384.8_2 if lan qos and bandwidth reporting in the gui is important to you.
     
  3. jass

    jass Regular Contributor

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2017
    Messages:
    52
    Assuming you've gone through the initialize and manual config after flashing the last fw...

    I have noticed the last couple of years using limiters. Sometimes after fw change, I have to use different notations to get it working again, 192.168.0.1/24 in one and maybe 192.168.0.* in another fw, and maybe it's necessary to change it back in the next fw upgrade. Even though Asus says there are three different notations which all should work.

    Another detail regarding limiters, make sure ctf is disabled. Also should be handled automatic, but sometimes fails to...

    And the oldest strange detail about limiters, is that with some firmwares the last couple of years, it's been necessary to go back to the limiter page and hit apply again after making any change in any router setting, with or without any relevans to the limiter settings...

    Which device is using the bandwidth, should be visible if you update the browser on the QoS page as long as their are active, but soon after they go idle, they will disappear again the way client list are working in the recent fw.

    These are just experiences I've had with limiters using the AC88U, GT-AC5300 and AX88U. I have no AC86, but maybe it's worth a try...