What's new

Bandwidth Monitor not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bagetak

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I just noticed that Bandwidth Monitor shows only zeros. I can see traffic on Network Map page but i don't know which device is currently using my network.
I got RT-AX56U with 388.1 firmware

1675974271651.png

1675974170060.png

I checked my router and App Analysis is off and my graphs show movement.

Another way to test over SSH:
Bash:
touch /tmp/BWSQL_LOG /tmp/BWSQL.log
tail -f /tmp/BWSQL.log

# Go to Bandwidth Monitor page, then switch back to SSH session
# to look for output.

# When done (prevent /tmp filling up):
rm /tmp/BWSQL*

What do you get if you browse this URL for the router?

Replace http with https if enabled and replace the IP with your router IP.
Code:
var array_traffic = new Array(); var router_traffic = new Array(); array_traffic = []; router_traffic = [];
Code:
[BWDPI_SQLITE]mode=traffic_wan, name=, dura=realtime, date=
[BWDPI_SQLITE]status=all, name=
[BWDPI_SQLITE]mode=traffic, name=, dura=realtime, date=
[BWDPI_SQLITE]status=, name=

That seems like a big problem. Are any other Trend Micro features enabled? AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, etc?

Same results on my RT-AX86U with 388.1 firmware

When I first set up the router the bandwidth monitor seemed to be working, but I don't use any Trend Micro stuff so I rarely go to this section except to use the speed test.

And when I do open the tab to use the speed test, Bandwidth Monitor never shows any activity.

That might the issue. I do use Adaptive QoS which enables Trend Micro.

However I dont use App Analysis which is currently disabled but my Bandwidth Monitor still shows information, both the graphs and devices shown below.

After enabling Apps analysis it's working as excepted. You probably just need to accept the licnese by enabling some of their features.

Hi, I just noticed that Bandwidth Monitor shows only zeros. I can see traffic on Network Map page but i don't know which device is currently using my network.

View attachment 47811

Somewhat unrelated, but I have an AX86U and I don't see that Internet Traffic information in the Status tab on the Network Map page. Is this normal, would be nice to have it.

ET12 Pro running 3.0.0.4.388.21739 (reverted back from 3.0.0.4.388.22127)

Same.
Monitor works sometimes. It doesn't take much to "upset" it and then it doesn't work.

var array_traffic = new Array(); var router_traffic = new Array(); array_traffic = []; router_traffic = [];

I have no Trend services (and won't - they are very invasive).

Two things can (not necessarily will) start it back to working:
1) Rebooting the router
2) Enabling "Traditional QoS"
This doesn't fix it 100%, but it is more likely to work with Traditional QoS on.​
I'd rather not have to enable QoS. I just don't want to run anything that presents overhead.​

Just a bit of eye candy.
I've seen this several times, but never been able to get a screen grab until now.
It usually predicates Bandwidth Monitor not working until 4 or 5 reboots later.
Bandwidth Monitor NaN [sanitized].jpg

As can be seen, I've upgraded to f/w 3.0.0.4.388.23013, which came out last week.
No one has complained about it, so I decided to try it.

Thus far, Bandwidth Monitor is still working. Which means it has worked longer tonight than it has for the entire time I've had the system installed...

*edit:
1) Traditional QoS was turned off prior to f/w upgrade.
2) By the time I thought to add the above detail, Bandwidth Monitor was locked up again. <sigh>

**edit2:
I made changes to the AiMesh that required several reboots to the system. Afterwards, the Bandwidth Monitor has worked without issue for more than 48 hours. I've never had it work longer than 10 minutes.
I'm crediting upgrading to f/w 3.0.0.4.388.23013 for this.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm running firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23785 (2023/08/21) on a RT-AX5400 and I still have the problem. Bandwidth Monitor is not working unless I turn Apps analysis ON.

Like @Lurking mentioned, it's not that simple because it sometimes work for a few minutes after a reboot, but it quickly stops working. All in all, it mostly never works unless I turn the Apps analysis feature ON.

I feel this feature should always be available and not depend on accepting the Trend Micro End User License Agreement.

Is this problem resolved for other Asus models?

*Edit* Just realized this is a Merlin sub-forum while I'm on stock firmware. Maybe it was solved in Merlin but not in stock?

Had an RT-AX86u. While I did not have this particular issue, was getting problems with connected devices suddenly stopping updating, needing a reboot to get working again. This happened over different firmware's (both stock and Merlin) . Chased up with Asus and router was replaced under warranty.

Replaced with a Pro version. Once again not seeing this particular issue on a few versions of stock firmware (B/W monitor always seemed to be working. Pretty much everything is disabled (ie no apps analysis etc. - only a few devices with reserved IP). Still getting issue of active devices stopping updating needing reboot to get it working again tho.

Anyhow upgraded firmware from stock 24198 to Merlin 388.5. The next day noticed old issue of client status not updating was back - but this time also Bandwidth monitor was not showing any traffic. The only way to get them working again was to do a reboot. Happened many times needing reboots - tried another factory reset but issue still occurring. B/W monitor works after reboot, but then just stops (sometimes virtually straight away, sometimes works for a few hours, sometimes for a day).

In the end went back to the stock 24198 firmware - but unfortunately the issue seems to have "stuck". Still getting Bandwidth monitor stopping showing any traffic (tho the devices listed does update, no traffic is shown for any devices or WAN).

I have a fault docket raised with Asus at the moment, but after reading this post I have even less expectation that they will resolve anything. The actual Merlin firmware is probably not the issue per se, but just the process of updating the Firmware was enough to cause the problem.