What's new

Bandwidth settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gar

Very Senior Member
I use bandwidth limiting under QOS and have left "Queue Discipline" and "WAN packet overhead" at default (SFQ, no preset chosen, and 18 with ATM unchecked). Should these values be set differently? I have cable 100/10 if its significant. All has been working fine but thought these default settings might give better performance if changed.

Thanks in advance.

Those settings allow you to more finely tune your packet overhead i think to increase qos efficiency. It can be difficult to figure out whats best and a default of 0 with atm off is recomended. Also fq_codel generally outperforms sfq paticularly with smaller online gaming type packets.

Those settings allow you to more finely tune your packet overhead i think to increase qos efficiency. It can be difficult to figure out whats best and a default of 0 with atm off is recomended. Also fq_codel generally outperforms sfq paticularly with smaller online gaming type packets.
I forgot to mention that I have choosen "Cable (DOCSIS)" under WAN packet overhead and assume that's correct since I have cable using DOCSIS 3.0.

Last edited:
I plugged in those changes and it works fine. Been trying to do research on this because we use DirecTV Now and I'm not sure if we'd benefit from special settings for that. The only guidance seems to be knowledgeable people, like on this forum, not DirecTV.

Mine shows 18 when I enable fq codel. I chose cable after that. Should I change 18 to zero? ATM shows unchecked also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine shows 18 when I enable fq codel. I chose cable after that. Should I change 18 to zero? ATM shows unchecked also

I took the advice from Sinner and it all works fine. Still some web research to do to satisfy my curiousity. Found some info from RMerlin there too.

Ok. Just wondering why 18 generates but I should move to zero.

Ok. Just wondering why 18 generates but I should move to zero.

I had a default of 18 as well, just was a starting point by Asus I guess. Maybe a neutral, works for all type value.

I had a default of 18 as well, just was a starting point by Asus I guess. Maybe a neutral, works for all type value.
18 isn't default. it must have been changed to 18 by selecting the cable setting in there and then when you return it to blank it leaves the 18 in the field still. And yes I would recommend 0 atm off until you've done the research to know what is required by your connection. 0 is better than an incorrect setting there. Its an advanced feature and theres no easy way to know what setting is best.

The dropdown merely fills up the value with what is associated to the selected entry. Think of this dropdown as a preset selector, like the one available on the Port Forwarding page.

The dropdown merely fills up the value with what is associated to the selected entry. Think of this dropdown as a preset selector, like the one available on the Port Forwarding page.
I assume your post from 2017 is still valid? Thanks

The overhead value is really for extreme tweaking, do not sweat too much over it. It's only intended to ensure higher accuracy when calculating the max bandwidth to allocate for each classes.

Had I known it would cause so much confusion, I wouldn't have exposed the parameter to the webui.

I assume your post from 2017 is still valid? Thanks

Yes. This setting is really a very minor tweak, and people shouldn't overstress over it. When in doubt, just leave it to 0.

I changed from default to DOCSIS and zero and didn't see any difference, I was just curious if it made improvements to my cable which feeds TV as well.