1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Bandwidth settings

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Gar, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I use bandwidth limiting under QOS and have left "Queue Discipline" and "WAN packet overhead" at default (SFQ, no preset chosen, and 18 with ATM unchecked). Should these values be set differently? I have cable 100/10 if its significant. All has been working fine but thought these default settings might give better performance if changed.

Thanks in advance.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Sinner

Sinner Senior Member

Those settings allow you to more finely tune your packet overhead i think to increase qos efficiency. It can be difficult to figure out whats best and a default of 0 with atm off is recomended. Also fq_codel generally outperforms sfq paticularly with smaller online gaming type packets.

4. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention that I have choosen "Cable (DOCSIS)" under WAN packet overhead and assume that's correct since I have cable using DOCSIS 3.0.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I plugged in those changes and it works fine. Been trying to do research on this because we use DirecTV Now and I'm not sure if we'd benefit from special settings for that. The only guidance seems to be knowledgeable people, like on this forum, not DirecTV.

6. Darcy

Darcy Senior Member

Mine shows 18 when I enable fq codel. I chose cable after that. Should I change 18 to zero? ATM shows unchecked also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I took the advice from Sinner and it all works fine. Still some web research to do to satisfy my curiousity. Found some info from RMerlin there too.

8. Darcy

Darcy Senior Member

Ok. Just wondering why 18 generates but I should move to zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I had a default of 18 as well, just was a starting point by Asus I guess. Maybe a neutral, works for all type value.

10. Sinner

Sinner Senior Member

18 isn't default. it must have been changed to 18 by selecting the cable setting in there and then when you return it to blank it leaves the 18 in the field still. And yes I would recommend 0 atm off until you've done the research to know what is required by your connection. 0 is better than an incorrect setting there. Its an advanced feature and theres no easy way to know what setting is best.

11. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

The dropdown merely fills up the value with what is associated to the selected entry. Think of this dropdown as a preset selector, like the one available on the Port Forwarding page.

12. Keenan

Keenan Regular Contributor

I assume your post from 2017 is still valid? Thanks

13. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Yes. This setting is really a very minor tweak, and people shouldn't overstress over it. When in doubt, just leave it to 0.

Darcy and Keenan like this.
  14. Gar

Gar Regular Contributor

I changed from default to DOCSIS and zero and didn't see any difference, I was just curious if it made improvements to my cable which feeds TV as well.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!