What's new

spdMerlin Bandwidth (up- and downstream) gradually lowered over past 24 hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

M

MvW

Not sure whether this has to do with the release of 386.2 beta 1 or that I misconfigured something in AutoBW in SpdMerlin. First of all, I have QoS Cake activated. I haven't really used QoS before, but read about Cake and decided to give it a try. I just noticed that since I installed 386.2 beta 1 (roughly 24 hours ago) and activated Cake QoS my bandwith is gradually being lowered over the past 24 hours. The only thing I've changed is I edited the thresholds in SpdMerlin for updating bandwith for QoS from 10% to 5%. For reference I have a 250/25 Cable (DOCSIS 3.0) connection which has always been within reasonable limits of what I'm paying for.

Speed measurements over the past '7' days, (well 4 actually, because that's when I decided to hop back on the Merlin train because I was homesick)

Screenshot_2021-03-11 spdMerlin 3.png

The past 'roughly' 24 hours (I can't recall the exact time I installed 386.2 beta 1):

Screenshot_2021-03-11 spdMerlin.png

My settings for AutoBW:

Screenshot_2021-03-11 spdMerlin 2.png

Auto adjusted BW values currently:

Screenshot_2021-03-11 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - EZQoS Bandwidth Management 1.png

When manually editing these back to 23.5 Upload and 237.5 Download (=95% of 25/250Mbit) I get 'normal' speeds again. It's peak hour here, so 17.41/192.40 is acceptable at this time of day.

Can someone please help me? Because if this continues I'll probably have to get my good old 56K6 modem out of the storage unit by sunrise to be faster. What should I do? I ran speedtest so it isn't in my connection and manually edited the values in QoS Settings. Should I disable AutoBW? Or is this something interacting between SpdMerlin and 386.2 beta 1?

Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Marco

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-11 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - EZQoS Bandwidth Management.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-11 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - EZQoS Bandwidth Management.png
    218.4 KB · Views: 150
It is, actually...

View attachment 31864

My apologies to your wife (if any) for keeping you entertained tonight, btw ;)
I've just realised the exclusion probably only works for Adaptive qos and addon cake. Built in cake is a different beast

@RMerlin is there a way to temporarily stop cake?

or @dave14305 as the resident QoS expert, do you know if there's a way to temporarily exclude some traffic from cake?

Last edited:
Cake can be disabled in QoS settings, it just one of the QoS types and has to be enabled by default.

Should I head over to the Beta thread and inform others to disable AutoBW in the meantime?

Edit: As I'm heading to bed and I want to prevent Eric or Jack to be overloaded with comments about up- and downstream values decreased hugely overnight, I made comment in the beta thread. I hope that's okay. If not, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just realised the exclusion probably only works for Adaptive qos and addon cake. Built in cake is a different beast

@RMerlin is there a way to temporarily stop cake?

or @dave14305 as the resident QoS expert, do you know if there's a way to temporarily exclude some traffic from cake?
Yes, you run /tmp/qos stop and then /tmp/qos start

Sorry, I didn't get any notification of my mention here, otherwise I would have come to your rescue sooner. ;)

Okay, I manually restored upstream (23.5 Mb/s) and downstream (237.5 Mb/s) in QoS settings, disabled AutoBW and the situation has returned to, more or less, normal.

Screenshot_2021-03-12 spdMerlin 5.png

However, as you can see in the image above, it looks that Exclude speedtest from Qos, which is enabled:

Screenshot_2021-03-12 spdMerlin 7.png

doesn't get taken into account, as my speedtest gets capped at the values mentioned above. You can see the difference in the graph, prior to installing 386.2 beta 1 (250 Mb/s max downstream, QoS disabled), the sliding scale downwards (386.2 beta 1) with AutoBW calculation enabled and the situation as of last night, with manual values (see above) restored, AutoBW disable, but now my speedtest get capped by QoS, I assume?

Okay, I manually restored upstream (23.5 Mb/s) and downstream (237.5 Mb/s) in QoS settings, disabled AutoBW and the situation has returned to, more or less, normal.

View attachment 31881

However, as you can see in the image above, it looks that Exclude speedtest from Qos, which is enabled:

View attachment 31882

doesn't get taken into account, as my speedtest gets capped at the values mentioned above. You can see the difference in the graph, prior to installing 386.2 beta 1 (250 Mb/s max downstream, QoS disabled), the sliding scale downwards (386.2 beta 1) with AutoBW calculation enabled and the situation as of last night, with manual values (see above) restored, AutoBW disable, but now my speedtest get capped by QoS, I assume?
Please can you switch to the develop branch of spdmerlin? Run the below over SSH:
Code:
spdmerlin develop

Done. What would you like me to do next?
just use your internet as normal :D
Exclude from QoS should now work with built in cake, as it calls /tmp/qos stop before the test, and /tmp/qos start afterwards
AutoBW should be OK now too

Unfortunately I can't use Cake, my pesky 550/40 connection...

just use your internet as normal :D
Exclude from QoS should now work with built in cake, as it calls /tmp/qos stop before the test, and /tmp/qos start afterwards
AutoBW should be OK now too

Okay, re-enabled AutoBW. Not sure whether coincidental or because QoS is now being stopped, but speedtest already give higher results, as soon as I swith to spdMerlin dev branche (250+ Mbit)
Unfortunately I can't use Cake, my pesky 550/40 connection...

You poor lad...

Thanks for the quick fix! I'll keep you posted.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!