What's new

Baseline configuration of Channel Bandwidth and Control Channel (dual-band WiFi6 US)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Given many variables and unknowns, this is my attempt to prescribe a baseline configuration of Channel Bandwidth and Control Channel (dual-band WiFi6 US)... humor me! :)

Channel Bandwidth
20-40-80-160 (auto) - router varies its max bandwidth to suit its radio space.
fixed - user fixes router max bandwidth, subject to DFS.

Client should connect at its best bandwidth, subject to router max bandwidth and client channel support.

Control Channel
Auto - router varies its control channel to suit its radio space, subject to user exclusion of DFS control channels.
fixed - user fixes router control channel, subject to DFS.

Client must support control channel.

Baseline Configuration
2.4 fixed
- 20MHz bw (courtesy); ch 1,6,11
2.4 auto - 20MHz bw; ch Auto (1-11)

5.0 fixed, low DFS - 160MHz bw; ch 36-48 (non-DFS)
5.0 auto, low DFS - 20-40-80-160MHz bw; ch Auto, excluding DFS channels (36-48,149-165)
160MHz bw uses DFS ch 52-64.

5.0 fixed, high DFS - 20-40-80-160MHz bw; ch 100-116
Uses DFS ch 100-128 (aka 5-2 band/dedicated backhaul).

5.0 fixed, no DFS - 80MHz bw, disable 160MHz; ch 36-48,149-161
5.0 auto, no DFS - 20-40-80MHz bw, disable 160MHz; ch Auto, excluding DFS channels (36-48,149-161)

Start with 2.4 fixed/5.0 fixed, low DFS; evaluate backhaul/client connection performance for various control channels; if WiFi/other interference persists, switch to auto; if radar/DFS interference persists, switch to no DFS.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks! I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to keep a wifi 6 router. So far, I have not found one that is as trouble free as my pair of old AC86U. :)

If I get more wifi 6 devices and faster internet I may try the AX86U again.

Routers tried thanks to Amazon return policy: :)

eero pro 6
RT-AX86U
XT8
XD4

So many choices... And everyone has an opinion especially me...

I have used fixed channels and bandwidth as well as auto channel and auto bandwidth (ex: 20-40-80-160 MHz). both and the several combo variations have worked for me. When I used a ROKU I avoided DFS channels because of their WIFI remote. Now that the old Sony (20+ years old) has died and has been replaced with a Smart TV I have enabled DFS channels and am still using WPA2/WPA3-Personal at 20-40-80-160 MHz. Yes, I have several AX clients as well as an AC client that uses the 160 MHz. Do I need the 160 MHz? Not really but it makes the backups to the NAS go faster.
Over the past several days I have gone from Merlin 386.5_2 to Asus 386.46061 to Merlin 386.7 alpha1 and back to Merlin 386.5_2. All with the same manually configured WIFI settings and all variants of the firmware work well on WIFI.

So, what to use? Whatever works for you. Most folks will do OK with factory default settings. If you like to tinker as I do, have a go but be prepared to reset and start over. And avoid using saved config files unless the backup was of your "perfect" router config.

Now... what Asus router do I want to buy to use as an AiMesh node...... Amazon has a refurbed AX58U...

So many choices... And everyone has an opinion especially me...

Yes, and there are still multiple variations to try within the above baseline. I wanted to put into words what I had concluded experientially... to capture it and to incite feedback to discover more... so keep those opinions coming!

When I used a ROKU I avoided DFS channels because of their WIFI remote.

There was an early Roku remote WiFi Direct that followed the local WLAN channel... even said to increase its power to be stronger. It caused trouble. My Roku Ultra remote WiFi Direct sets up on ch 165 at 20MHz and doesn't budge... a good place for. But I keep it OFF unless I use it... a new smart TV now rules, for better or for worse.

Now that the old Sony (20+ years old) has died and has been replaced with a Smart TV

I just recycled a perfectly great SONY 34" CRT for $10. It weighed 210 lbs. and I did not want to move it anymore! :) If it had an ATSC3.0 tuner and newer HDMI, I would have tried to find a home for it.

If you like to tinker as I do, have a go but be prepared to reset and start over.

Yeah, I've seen the firmware get lost when trying too much. I prefer to configure the exact settings I know (or hope) to work best and be done with it... hence my notes.

Now... what Asus router do I want to buy to use as an AiMesh node...... Amazon has a refurbed AX58U...

If I were starting from scratch, I'd consider an AX86U+AX86S AiMesh... maybe what ASUS had in mind with the S version. But that is admittedly based more on feel and not wanting to mull over ASUS' ridiculous modelpalooza and experiment with unfamilar models.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!