What's new

Basic AiMesh questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Kaforey

Occasional Visitor
Currently I have one AC88U providing wireless for my house. I have 2 very cheap TP-Link routers that I also use, one connected wirelessly to provide a hardwired connection for a security camera, and the other one wired acting as an AP.

I'm thinking of adding one or 2 mesh clients, but I'm wondering how it works. Currently my AC88 is using a custom dnsmasq.conf file for static dhcp as I like to have a clean, organized network. There are around 60 entries in there.

1) If I add nodes, will the clients connected to the nodes use get IP addresses from my main router, or the node itself?
2) I'm assuming this is an obvious one, but will devices connected to one node be able to see/connect to other devices on different nodes transparently?

Thank you in advance!

Currently I have one AC88U providing wireless for my house. I have 2 very cheap TP-Link routers that I also use, one connected wirelessly to provide a hardwired connection for a security camera, and the other one wired acting as an AP.

I'm thinking of adding one or 2 mesh clients, but I'm wondering how it works. Currently my AC88 is using a custom dnsmasq.conf file for static dhcp as I like to have a clean, organized network. There are around 60 entries in there.

1) If I add nodes, will the clients connected to the nodes use get IP addresses from my main router, or the node itself?
2) I'm assuming this is an obvious one, but will devices connected to one node be able to see/connect to other devices on different nodes transparently?

Thank you in advance!
Yes to both questions

I'm thinking of adding one or 2 mesh clients, but I'm wondering how it works
As far as I can tell the address assignment, routing, etc are the same as with an ordinary access point -- that is, the main router carries the load. I will be interested to hear of how the stability and performance of your mesh network compare to the access point version you now have.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!