What's new

Basic Synology Workings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I have my Synology installed. I have couple of basic questions? Can you perform command line copies. I don't know how to add a drive letter to my Windows 10 PC that will map to the Synology. Is it all drag and drop?

Using this GUI file interface I included with my attachment. Will the Video, music, and photo on the left side are they per person so everybody's music is separate or is it a group music share folder, photo and video folder for multiple users. I can figure it out but I thought maybe someone can give me a quick overview on the best structure using this NAS for a couple of users. It will save me a lot of time.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    128.9 KB · Views: 306
Open up File Explorer (yellow icon on the taskbar) and select Map Network Drive. You may have to click on the Computer tab at the top if you have the icons hidden.

I tried to map a drive but I don't see the Synology. I must be doing something wrong.

PS
I guess I need to create a share first.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    117.1 KB · Views: 282
Is it part of the same work group?

Has it gone to sleep?

No I don't think it is asleep. I am playing around with shares. Permissions seem to be grayed out.

Do you have public folders enabled on the NAS? Can you make them explicitly shared?

I seem to be missing something for mapping a drive. I created a folder and added a share. I do not see it on my PC. I do see the Synology. What am I missing?

Walk me through public folder share enabled on the NAS.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    120.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    108.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    88.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
That is your home drive on the NAS and is only visible to the specific user. If you want a share that is accessible by more people, you need to make a dedicated shared folder in the root of the NAS.

OK, I think I have made a high level share. See attachment. I still can not map it or my home drive. But it looks like Synology uses WORKGROUP under SMB settings. I have Windows 10 Home Edition which I believe does not support WORKGROUP. Could this be an issue. Do I need Windows 10 PRO? Maybe active directory is what is missing from PRO. I don't remember.

Maybe I need to enable SMB 3.0 on the Synology.

Attachments

• Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    135.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
@coxhaus are you able to enable SMB v1.0 on your computer?

OK. SMB is not turned on. SMB v1.0 is considered a security risk. Is there any reason to not leave SMBv1.0 off and turn on SMB direct on the workstation and turn on SMB 3.0 on the Synology? I don't want to change after I have things working.

I guess when you join a Domain all this stuff is turned on for you.

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    167.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I don't think SMB Direct is relevant for most home users.

Without SMBv1 being enabled you won't be able to "browse" to an SMB network share. However, in all SMB versions you can simply type in the UNC. For example:
Code:
\\nuc\Media
Where nuc is the name of the server and Media is the name of the shared directory.

On the other hand, if you enable SMBv1 you could browse your shared directories and map drives as required. Once they've been mapped you can turn off SMBv1 and just leave SMBv2 or 3 enabled.

P.S. Domains and workgroups are completely different things.

EDIT: FYI I believe the equivalent syntax in the macOS world would be smb://nuc/Media

Last edited:
OK, I think you are right. I turned on only SMB direct on the PC and SMB 3.0 on my Synology. I can't browse but I can map using the UNC name. I think I will go back and turn on SMBv1.0.

Yes I used Microsoft Home Server in the Past for a few years so I know about workgroups. We used Domains where I worked and I ran a Domain at my house using Small Business Server for a few years before I ran Home Server. I wanted to run my own email server back then. With Windows 10 I have only run Home edition so I don't remember the differences in Home and PRO.

I turned on SMB 1.0 and I can browse and map. I just needed to turn on SMB 1.0 on my PC.

If you don't trust SMB 1.0 then you are limited to UNC names and mapping. There is no browsing.

So I have a couple Synology questions.

1. If I don't want to use SMB 1.0 can I upgrade to Windows 10 PRO and use SMB 3.0? I have not kept up with Windows 10 version 1909. I am starting to get out of date. Has anybody turned off SMB 1.0?

2. If I want to use my Synology on multiple networks since I run a layer 3 switch. Can I implement Synology DNS across networks, there seems to be an Synology APP for DNS, and use my Synology across local networks like Windows servers?

Yes you can turn off SMBv1. If fact people have trouble keeping it enabled because Microsoft disables it by default. And even if you have it installed Windows will disable it again after 15 days (IIRC) if you don't use it.

All versions of Windows 10 come with SMBv2 and SMBv3 AFAIK.

Yes you can turn off SMBv1. If fact people have trouble keeping it enabled because Microsoft disables it by default. And even if you have it installed Windows will disable it again after 15 days (IIRC) if you don't use it.

All versions of Windows 10 come with SMBv2 and SMBv3 AFAIK.

I am not seeing SMB 3.0 in my Windows 10 Home Edition. How do I install it? It seems like you need both SMB2.0 and SMB3.0.

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    167.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
SMBv2 and SMBv3 are core components of Windows 10, they can't be installed/uninstalled. That's why you don't see them.

Then why does network browsing using Windows 10 v1909 and Synology not work when I turn off SMB1.0?

So how are people using Synology NAS units if their SMBv1 turns off and it is not secure?
Surely people are having problems? What am I missing? This seems terrible.

Last edited:
I only enabled v1 so my Sonos could see it. Otherwise I had no issues from modern devices.

I don’t remember which version of SMB removes the broadcast announcements. That is why you can’t “see” it.

Just map the drive to a letter and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk