What's new

Beamforming options missing? [AC66U, 378.54_2]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Civ

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I was just looking into improving respectively optimizing my wireless performance as well as range and tried to ensure that everything was functional. In that process, I read about beamforming as part of AiRadar and noticed that I don't have that option listed in Wireless > Professional. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing it in my router options on both the stock firmware or since I switched to the Merlin releases.

Searching this forum and other online resources, it should be available on my RT-AC66U. What am I missing here (other than the obvious)?

PpuPtOL.png

Thanks!

Beamforming is not supported by the RT-AC66U.

Beamforming is not supported by the RT-AC66U.

Really? I only posted because everything online indicates that it was either announced by ASUS that it would be supported on the AC66U (did they change their mind?) or that it's already supported and available in its options. That's... quite a bummer.

Last edited:
Code:
  if(  based_modelid == "RT-AC3200" || based_modelid == "RT-AC69U" ||
  based_modelid == "RT-AC56S" || based_modelid == "RT-AC56U" ||
  based_modelid == "RT-AC68U" || based_modelid == "RT-AC68U_V2" || based_modelid == "DSL-AC68U" ||
  based_modelid == "RT-AC87U" || based_modelid == "EA-AC87")
  {
  document.getElementById('wl_txbf_desc').innerHTML = "802.11ac Beamforming";
  inputCtrl(document.form.wl_txbf, 1);
  }

based_modelid == "RT-AC68U" || based_modelid == "RT-AC68U_V2" || based_modelid == "DSL-AC68U" ||
  {
  inputCtrl(document.form.wl_itxbf, 1);
  }

The RT-AC66U is a Wave1 AC class router from three years ago.

The hardware may support beamforming, but Asus has decided for one reason or another to not implement it (yet).

Considering the first gen attempt of the AC class standard and the many years since it's introduction, it would not be reasonable to be expecting it now either.

(Buyer beware; only buy what is delivered, not what is only promised or theoretically possible in the hardware stack).

Code:
  {
  document.getElementById('wl_txbf_desc').innerHTML = "802.11ac Beamforming";
  inputCtrl(document.form.wl_txbf, 1);
  }

{
  inputCtrl(document.form.wl_itxbf, 1);
  }

Interesting... I wonder why they enabled it on the AC56 models but not the newer AC66. Theoretically, could it be enabled by modifying the code? If feasible and functional, I'm sure ASUS would've done that already... meh. Still curious about the reasoning to not enable it in the AC66 models. o_O

The RT-AC66U is a Wave1 AC class router from three years ago.

The hardware may support beamforming, but Asus has decided for one reason or another to not implement it (yet).

Considering the first gen attempt of the AC class standard and the many years since it's introduction, it would not be reasonable to be expecting it now either.

(Buyer beware; only buy what is delivered, not what is only promised or theoretically possible in the hardware stack).

Yeah... I've had this one for about 2.5 years and it had great promise (and reviews) at the time.

I have had a RT-AC66U since it was released. It did at one point have the option "implicit beamforming" in the 5GHz wireless professional page. I remember asking Merlin why it only showed that option and not the "explicit beamforming" option like some other routers and his response was "probably because it's not supported". Later versions of the firmware for the 66U removed all references to beamforming.

Interesting... I wonder why they enabled it on the AC56 models but not the newer AC66. Theoretically, could it be enabled by modifying the code? If feasible and functional, I'm sure ASUS would've done that already... meh. Still curious about the reasoning to not enable it in the AC66 models. o_O

Different platform and hardware. The two are also on different Broadcom SDKs.

Reactions: Civ
Johns fork or (Merlin 374.43) has it listed in the 5ghz area. Now whether is actually matters if its enabled or disabled I am not sure. I will say that this fork seems to have better wireless speeds and range than the newer 376 and 378 builds. Supposedly due to the power output changes mandated by the FCC but perhaps the beamforming option plays into it as well.

Johns fork or (Merlin 374.43) has it listed in the 5ghz area. Now whether is actually matters if its enabled or disabled I am not sure. I will say that this fork seems to have better wireless speeds and range than the newer 376 and 378 builds. Supposedly due to the power output changes mandated by the FCC but perhaps the beamforming option plays into it as well.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot! I haven't considered it because it seemed outdated with no obvious benefits (to me). Beamforming and better wireless performance would change that, of course.

Beamforming seldom gives any difference at all. Google "beamforming test".

Oh no...don't say I've been duped yet again by clever sales marketing (shrink-wrapped) box-on-shelf advertising?....I was so hoping to beam the WiFi signal (laser-like) through the open door of my lead-lined 6-foot thick concrete walled bunker where currently I have a WiFi dead spot Ha Ha! :p

I thought the beamforming should help in a situtation where many wifi clients are around. It should cause less RF interference between the devices. But I don't have a clue what the actual gain is. It just sounds nice theory to me.

The only time Tim could find any real benefit to beamforming was with clients at mid-range, and the improvement wasn't that big. Close or far range, it didn't make much difference.

It's one of those things that should probably just be considered incremental tweaks to the 802.11 technology, rather than get their own Powerpoint slides on a marketing presentation.

I saw you have TX bursting enabled. I disabled it because when I clicked on it I saw it has nothing to do with wireless N or AC. Any thoughts? Should I switch it back?