What's new

Beginner Astrill Applet SSH upload question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

guidre

New Around Here
I am a beginner attempting to upload the Astrill applet to an Asus RT-AC86U router with Merlin firmware upload via SSH.
After enabling SSH and accessing the router via a windows command I get a prompt to enter the ASUS router password, however at this stage nothing I enter on the keyboard shows up in the command box and I am unable to enter the password.
I know this is a beginner question, but I would really appreciate any help to upload the applet to the router before I head to China.

the password input is hidden for security, but it is being entered
type your password and hit enter

the password input is hidden for security, but it is being entered
type your password and hit enter
Thanks, I wondered if this might be the case, but the password does not work, and I know it is correct as it works when I access the router via the IP address on the address bar

Thanks, I wondered if this might be the case, but the password does not work, and I know it is correct as it works when I access the router via the IP address on the address bar
and now the connection is timing out and it will not connect to the router via the SSH route. I can ping the router and it returns 4 packets but the command window then closes by itself. Very frustrating

It's almost certainly got to be with HOW you are SSHing into the router! At the most basic, such as from powershell (command line) you'd need to be using "SSH admin@192.168.1.1" assuming you've not refined your settings.

I am a beginner attempting to upload the Astrill applet to an Asus RT-AC86U router with Merlin firmware upload via SSH.
After enabling SSH and accessing the router via a windows command I get a prompt to enter the ASUS router password, however at this stage nothing I enter on the keyboard shows up in the command box and I am unable to enter the password.
I know this is a beginner question, but I would really appreciate any help to upload the applet to the router before I head to China.
Is there some feature that the Astrill applet offers that you can't get using Merlin firmware and the VPN manager addon program? Back in the day the Astrill applet applet was truly amazing and feature rich but unless if offers a feature not available using Merlin and the VPNManager why make things difficult.

I used to use Astrill as my VPN provider and it ran fine using Merlin. If you are interested in circumventing the great wall of China it still maybe possible using Merlin firmware and the recommended server from Astrill.

It's almost certainly got to be with HOW you are SSHing into the router! At the most basic, such as from powershell (command line) you'd need to be using "SSH admin@192.168.1.1" assuming you've not refined your settings.
Thank you, it is now resolved.
I did the following with Astrill support help
we updated the host name and IP
And this forced the host list to refresh as it got changed and needed to fetch details from scratch.

Is there some feature that the Astrill applet offers that you can't get using Merlin firmware and the VPN manager addon program? Back in the day the Astrill applet applet was truly amazing and feature rich but unless if offers a feature not available using Merlin and the VPNManager why make things difficult.

I used to use Astrill as my VPN provider and it ran fine using Merlin. If you are interested in circumventing the great wall of China it still maybe possible using Merlin firmware and the recommended server from Astrill.
I am keen to look at whatever the best option is for bypassing the great firewall, do you have more details on where to read up on how to use the VPNManager (with recommended server?)

and now the connection is timing out and it will not connect to the router via the SSH route. I can ping the router and it returns 4 packets but the command window then closes by itself. Very frustrating
Thank you, it is now resolved.
I did the following with Astrill support help
we updated the host name and IP
And this forced the host list to refresh as it got changed and needed to fetch details from scratch.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!