What's new

"Best" 802.11ac AP's for large SOHO/SMB - DAP-2660, EAP1750H, or UAP-AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inline

New Around Here
Looking for some advice from someone who has deployed multiple AP's that can be powered by 802.3af/at within a large home or small business and not using a dedicated controller or expensive (read: Aruba, Cisco, HP, etc) solution.

I've narrowed down my picks to the following:

1. D-Link DAP-2660 - Hard to find any good reviews on this unit, not a lot out there, but price is right and feature set looks good, band steering, built in RADIUS server.

2. Engenius EAP-1750H - I've read mixed reviews

3. Ubiquiti UAP-AC (mixed reviews, heat issues (maybe fixed in v2), concerned about amount of time to implement things promised early on like ZH, I'm not concerned about ZH in particular, but concerned this model is a lemon.

At first I was very much leaning towards the UAP-AC until I researched more and read about the issues. I don't know much about the EAP1750H and even less real world on the DAP-2660.

I'm hoping someone has set these up and could share experience. My use case is deploying 3 or 4 of these in large homes and/or small businesses to allow good 5Ghz coverage/roaming in the home or small business while also providing 2.4Ghz coverage/roaming for older devices.

So I'm also pretty keen on an answer to this. Have started buying equipment for my new house which i'm running ethernet cable through.

So far my equipment is a Ubiquiti ER Lite and a TP-Link SG2424 switch. Now i need an access point.

One other model that i was considering is the Edimax WAP1750.

Do you guys have any suggestions based on experience?

I'd go with a current mid-range ASUS, and perhaps skip the premium cost of 11AC

Mine is just 11n and the only WiFi things in the house are low-speed phones and iPad. So no sense paying for AC. My $40 ASUS router/AP/bridge works well. No reboots.

With multiple APs, there is less need for exceptional range performance. Good roaming is a crapshoot. It depends more on the clients than the APs.

Any reason why you aren't considering the Linksys LAPC1750PRO?

I was looking into this as well actually, I think I dismissed it for a reason which I can't remember now, but it seems to be in the same class of products. That said, I went and ordered (3) of the DAP-2660's and I'll be experimenting with them this weekend and post results later.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!