What's new

Best ASUS router for a large home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If the house is big enough, then you will want a small business solution.
I actually think the old AC wireless had better roaming than the new WiFi6 as I believe the new is still a work in progress.

If the house is big enough, then you will want a small business solution.
I actually think the old AC wireless had better roaming than the new WiFi6 as I believe the new is still a work in progress.
ASUS recently launched the small business solution called ExpertWiFi

Just spoke to him again. As I wrote, his house is made of reinforced concrete. Walls, floors and roof. Solar cells, good insulation in a completely new house 400 square meters (roughly 4000 square feet) in 2 floors.

Based on my current experience with the XT12, I would probably go for a small business solution using AC instead. A wired router and a suitable number of access points. Fortunately his house comes with wired ethernet cat 8. 2 connections in each room. So if we start with say 4 APs and a wired router, we can easily add more APs when needed. I suspect we will need more APs, particularly to cover the outsides and the garage as well.

However - I'm not an expert here...... Does anyone have recommendations on equipment for this? Both supplier, APs and whatever else is needed?

As I wrote before, I'm not a big fan of mesh systems, so mesh is no requirement at all.

This has got as much to do with you as with him if you're the admin. I'd investigate an Omada controller and APs as an option. As for previous comments about the XT8s relative to their performance, I guess I've been extremely lucky with mine and wholeheartedly give them two thumbs up.

It would appear the XT9 and that "business" model above have largely the same guts. I'd consider that a good thing.

I concur with going with SMB-grade access points. You might need as many as one per room, given the concrete walls; but perhaps not all of them need to be top-of-the-line units, depending on household usage patterns. Omada and Ubiquiti are plausible brand choices. I recommend looking at Evan McCann's detailed reviews of both lines.

You might want to look at the Cisco small business 150ax wireless APs since they are fairly cheap and you can run 25 in a cluster.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!