"Best" Asus Router for VPN

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Right now I'm running a AC-RT86U. Enabling VPN Client significantly reduces the speed. Is there (meanwhile) a more powerful Asus Router for VPN?

Sobster88

Occasional Visitor
The ac86, ax88, and ax86 are all close in openvpn performance. They all should be able to achieve around 200 Mbps. If you are way below this with your ac86, it could be that your vpn provider doesn’t have very fast servers or possibly you are using a server very far away, degrading performance.

Try switching server locations to see if that makes any changes.

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
200 Mbps is the usual speed I can achieve with running the VPN client on my PC (AMD Ryzen 9 3900X). Enabling it on router for the same server it's dropping to 30-60 MBbps.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
What settings are you enabling on the router VPN past defaults?

What are your ISP speeds up/down? How consistent are they (Fibre, DSL, cable, satellite, etc.)?

Have you tried using the second or third, or fourth/fifth VPN slot to test with?

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
1- Nothing I guess, just the settings I got from my VPN Provider
2- 400/400 Mbts, very stable, Fibre
3- Yes, I did. No change.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
1- ???

What other changes past defaults have you made on your router? What options/features or scripts are you using?

What firmware are you using? When was that firmware last set to full factory defaults?

If using scripts, was the USB drive inserted 'used', or was it formatted on a PC in NTFS format first before cleanly installing the scripts you use again?

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
sorry, misunderstood that. As I had to do a factory reset today (384.18) I will check the performance again. No USB Stick.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
The RMerlin 386.1_0 release final firmware is suggested (highly). No sense fixing this on such an old firmware today.

Flash to the 386.1 codebase and reset your network and router as suggested in the link below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
I'll do. Upgrade from 384.18 to 386.1 worked this time. I guess I'll do a hard reset again to make sure everything is fine.

doczenith1

Very Senior Member
200 Mbps is the usual speed I can achieve with running the VPN client on my PC (AMD Ryzen 9 3900X). Enabling it on router for the same server it's dropping to 30-60 MBbps.
Is the VPN client on your PC using openvpn or wireguard?

Sobster88

Occasional Visitor
Which provider do you use?

What are their crypto settings, specifically tls control channel and auth digest. I’m wondering if your provider is using an extra strong encryption which is slowing the router down?