What's new

Best AX86U firmware (no issues)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarkKnight75

I updated to latest firmware, but i think there may be a driver bug or something going on as my router rebooted on its own taking internet down briefly. Can anyone suggest a rock solid firmware other than the latest that i could try out?

I updated to latest firmware, but i think there may be a driver bug or something going on as my router rebooted on its own taking internet down briefly. Can anyone suggest a rock solid firmware other than the latest that i could try out?
RT-AX86U : 3.0.0.4.386_45934-gb23bdac

OK, so you know I reported a minor problem. But overall the recent Asus releases are very good. I am frequently changing settings to test various functions and from time to time, such as today, I fork something up. Hard Factory Reset or Factory Defaults with initialize everything puts things back to right and I can manually configure the entire router in about 10 minutes. Seldom use a saved config file.

I have always used stock Asus firmware for all my routers. I like having Merlin available but I don't need any extra features other than what stock offers. It's a matter of keeping things simple and easy. I don't want to deal with the hassle of flashing and re-flashing third party firmware or going back and forth between stock and third party. I don't want the possibility of any leftover settings or remnants effecting the next firmware flash.

When I set up my new routers I update the stock firmware immediately, reboot and then configure the settings which except for a few changes are very close to the default. I have never done a hard or soft reset of any of my AX86s. Some of my AX86Us have auto firmware update enabled. I do sometimes reboot the routers after a manual firmware update but not always. Either way I have had zero issues with stock firmware. All of the routers have run perfectly 24/7.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be having random uninitiated reboots. Whether it's due to firmware or another reason I consider that kind of thing a serious reliability issue even if it's temporary. It's never fun trying to track down the reason why. Usually with new stock firmware those kinds of issues get reported fairly quickly. Merlin seems to do a good job promptly working on bug fixes for his releases as well.

I would pick the firmware you like whether it be stock Asus or Merlin (official releases) and set it up the way you want and just stay with that. After years of reading this forum it seems the people that run into strange problems are the ones who flash back and forth between stock and third party firmware or run alpha and beta versions. If you run into issues with a newer firmware you can always flash back to the previous version and do a reset.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with doing that. We still don't know why you were having issues with the new AX86U. Is it firmware related or settings related? Is it overheating or faulty hardware?... which has been a problem reported for aging AC86Us.

You shouldn't be having random reboots with your AX86U and it's not an issue we have seen here in this forum very often that has been related to hardware. If it is hardware related this is only the second or third AX86U major hardware issue that I remember reading about in in this forum for the past year... there is one other user who has claimed that two of his AX86Us were faulty.

Sometimes users get their new router and the first weeks they have it they are so excited that they immediately try different firmware and uninstall what was working and reinstall another third party firmware. They keep changing different settings, etc.. until they run into problems.

Then they ask for advice debugging and what settings or firmware to use. Advice is given but frustration mounts and soon they want to return the router for a replacement or try a different model or often they want to go back to their old router. If they get the new replacement then they often run into the same problems with it. Sometimes they figure out that it's simple settings issue and realize it never was a hardware problem. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes it ended up being how they had their network configured. Sometimes it's a random ISP service issue (or related to the WAN DHCP renewal or query frequency) and not the new router. Sometimes there is a hardware or compatibility related issue.

No matter what they decide the most important thing is that they are happy with their decision. These routers aren't cheap and if you feel it's not a device that benefits you right now or if you don't want to deal with any issues then it might be best to return it while you can and go back to what was working for you before. There are a lot eager buyers out there who would be thrilled to get their hands on an open box AX86U. :)

Last edited:
Every firmware is Rock Solid on my RT-AX86U!
I figured out that if i use Guest Network 1, strange things happen.
When a new firmware comes out i try to use the Guest Network 1 again.
Every time i went back to use the Guest Network 2.
Then its rock solid again, never had a single reboot.
If you have a problem don't use Guest Network 1 is my advise.

I'm somewhat tech savvy. Initially updated to latest firmware, did a reset/initialize, config manually. After 4 days, router rebooted and lost internet connection. I performed same procedure again, and after 7 days same thing. I highly doubt it's the firmware, since i still had a return window, back it went. Never had any issues with my AC86U on stock firmware, in fact it was running 7 months straight at one point.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat tech savvy. Initially updated to latest firmware, did a reset/initialize, config manually. After 4 days, router rebooted and lost internet connection. I performed same procedure again, and after 7 days same thing. I highly doubt it's the firmware, since i still had a return window, back it went. Never had any issues with my AC86U on stock firmware, in fact it was running 7 months straight at one point.
In a strange coincidence when I was online last night my internet service dropped completely. It has been intermittently flaky and completely dropping internet off and on for a few months but for the past week it had been working perfectly. I also could have thought it was a router problem but after a year of experience with using these AX86Us in different locations... some using that same ISP I knew it wasn't the router.

After going into the settings I discovered it was a WAN DHCP server issue relating to ISP's service. Who knows? It could be a physical cable line connection, the cable service is over saturated or another issue. I have a backup ISP connected in dual WAN so I switched over to that and everything is back up, rock solid and running perfectly. The ISP will need to send a out an onsite tech after I contact them.

Do what you feel is right for you. You are the one that has to be satisfied. You could flash with the latest Asus stock firmware. Do a full hard reset. Take it back for a new replacement. I myself would try that before completely throwing in the towel. You have a backup router you can use in the meantime. Otherwise return it and get a refund if that's what you want.

Last edited:
A Guest Network 1 bug? I've never heard of that before. I guess there is a bug for everything. I know everything else is working for you but when I had the time that's an issue I would try to figure out. If you can't find a fix with settings changes I'd do a full hard router reset, reconfigure the settings and see if that changes anything but if you are good with how it's running just leave it.

I have a few clients working on 2.4 guest1. The two on the router list as idx 1 in the Log. The one on the node is not listed in the Log.

I suspect the new guest1 WLAN is not right yet.

OE

A Guest Network 1 bug? I've never heard of that before. I guess there is a bug for everything. I know everything else is working for you but when I had the time that's an issue I would try to figure out. If you can't find a fix with settings changes I'd do a full hard router reset, reconfigure the settings and see if that changes anything but if you are good with how it's running just leave it.
I have setup AiMesh, in a mesh setup, you can turn only the first Guest network to sync to nodes.
Every time it result in unexpected behavior.
So i think something's wrong with Guest Network 1.
Guest Network 2 has no problems, the result is i don't have a Guest Network on the node.
But the router is rock solid and never reboots unexpected.

I did hard reset router multiple times and reconfigure settings.
Only want to help people who have problems with an Asus router.
My advise is don't use Guest Network 1.
If this is not the solution please let me know.

Last edited:
I have setup AiMesh, in a mesh setup, you can turn only the first Guest network to sync to nodes.
Guest Network 2 has no problems, the result is i don't have a Guest Network on the node.
Maybe it's something that shows up only when using AiMesh. So I guess what you are saying is that you're not going to return your AX86U because of this Guest Network 1 bug? :oops:

Maybe it's something that shows up only when using AiMesh. So I guess what you are saying is that you're not going to return your AX86U because of this Guest Network 1 bug? :oops:

If I use AiMesh I will remember your advise. It is actually good information to know.

Meanwhile I also am keeping my AX86U despite the ISP's faulty cable internet service dropping intermittently. ;)

I did hard reset router multiple times and reconfigure settings.
If this is not the solution please let me know.

Guest1 is working on my wireless AiMesh. Maybe wired/switched backhauls are causing the issue on your end?

OE

Same here. GN 1 is working for over a year here with all released RMerlin firmware to today (including full releases, Beta's, and Alpha's).

Guest Network 1 quirks mentioned in multiple threads on SNB are easy to replicate, actually. Since I only play with the routers, a long list of Asuswrt issues were discovered. When I find something odd I search SNB and bam - there is a thread about it, one or many. If you guys never had any issues, even on alpha/beta releases, you perhaps never tested anything in-depth or never used specific Asuswrt features.