What's new

Best brand of RG6 outdoor coax cable for burial

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marin

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I am looking to purchase some bulk coax cable soon. What brand of quad shield R6 coax cable would you recommend for direct burial?

Also, do you recommend burying such cable in a plastic pipe or directly into the ground?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't beat Belden and yes I would recommend running the cable in PVC pipe. Around here if you don't the moles will manage to dig into it and then you get to dig it up and replace it. It isn't hard to run it in PVC. You can buy it in 10 foot sections and simply push it through one section at a time then glue it together and keep adding sections as needed. If you need elbows I would use 90 degree sweep elbows sold in the electrical conduit section of home centers. They are the same size as PVC water pipe use the same glue.

If your going to put it in conduit buy it all from the electrical area (gray) as it also has a UV block in the material. Your local code may also require the conduit to be gray.

Surprisingly, the gray is typically a few pennies less as well even though everything I've ever found says both are schedule 40 pipe :) Plus the conduit has a coupler formed into one end of the pipe to further reduce cost.

You can't beat Belden and yes I would recommend running the cable in PVC pipe. Around here if you don't the moles will manage to dig into it and then you get to dig it up and replace it. It isn't hard to run it in PVC. You can buy it in 10 foot sections and simply push it through one section at a time then glue it together and keep adding sections as needed. If you need elbows I would use 90 degree sweep elbows sold in the electrical conduit section of home centers. They are the same size as PVC water pipe use the same glue.

Thank you guys!

Was curious if anyone uses RG11 cable outdoors and then RG6 inside the house. Or do you think RG11 is excessive. Debating on whether to use an quad shield RG11 outdoors (~80 ft or so) or simply use a quad shield RG6 the whole way instead?

Thank you!

You could potentially forgo the conduit and just use armored, direct-burial RG11 (example), if it's available in your market.

Another alternative would be flexible aluminum armor, sized per the width of coaxial you'd like to run (RG6 or 11). See page 179 of this General Cable catalog.

Last edited:
You could potentially forgo the conduit and just use armored, direct-burial RG11 (example), if it's available in your market.

Another alternative would be flexible aluminum armor, sized per the width of coaxial you'd like to run (RG6 or 11). See page 179 of this General Cable catalog.

Thanks @Trip! I appreciate your contribution as always!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!