What's new

Best Buy AC2917 and Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RAJ

Regular Contributor
I think I am going to order one from Best Buy

Wireless-AC2917​

Now I think its a standard ac86u but wanted to verify that it will take the Merlin updates. Im guessing Best buy maybe gave it a 2917 name to be different from all the 2900s out there. Or maybe its a newer update of the 2900. Anyone know for sure?

I think I am going to order one from Best Buy

Wireless-AC2917​

Now I think its a standard ac86u but wanted to verify that it will take the Merlin updates. Im guessing Best buy maybe gave it a 2917 name to be different from all the 2900s out there. Or maybe its a newer update of the 2900. Anyone know for sure?

It appears to be an RT-AC86U and overpriced at Best Buy as usual for them and routers.

OE

RT-AC2917 is a BestBuy renamed RT-AC86U. Zoom on the picture showing the actual model number - RT-AC86U.

I have a different question and perhaps @RMerlin can answer:
RT-AC1750 B1 is CAD70 on clearance. RT-AC66U B1 is always available for CAD100. They are exactly the same hardware router. Are they both compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin? Thank you!

It appears to be an RT-AC86U and overpriced at Best Buy as usual for them and routers.

OE
Agree on overpriced. It was 20.00 less on amazon untill they raised to price to match Best Buy. Now they all the same price.

Agree on overpriced. It was 20.00 less on amazon untill they raised to price to match Best Buy. Now they all the same price.

Micro Center has it for $160
Amazon $170
Newegg $170
Best Buy $190 on sale for $181

If you walk into Best Buy, prove it's an AC86U (the model no is on their website) and make them price match Micro Center. Take documentation.

OE

Reactions: RAJ
If you walk into Best Buy, prove it's an AC86U (the model no is on their website) and make them price match Micro Center. Take documentation.
That`s actually part of why they have these odd SKUs - it allows them to avoid price matching, and sell at whatever price they want.

RT-AC1750 B1 is CAD70 on clearance. RT-AC66U B1 is always available for CAD100. They are exactly the same hardware router. Are they both compatible with Asuswrt-Merlin? Thank you!
RT-AC66U_B1 is compatible, it uses the same firmware as the RT-AC68U.

That`s actually part of why they have these odd SKUs - it allows them to avoid price matching, and sell at whatever price they want.

Perhaps. But it's not very hard to pickup the box and prove to the store geek that it's an Asus RT-AC86U AC2900... it's on the box.

If the OP insists on buying a router from Best Buy, I suggest he pursue their price match offer to save $21.

OE

RT-AC66U_B1 is compatible, it uses the same firmware as the RT-AC68U.

This one I know. What about the one marketed as RT-AC1750 B1? It's the same router.

I remember RT-AC66U MIPS version was also marketed as RT-AC1750. Both used to run your firmware just fine.

This one I know. What about the one marketed as RT-AC1750 B1? It's the same router.
In theory it should, but I can't be 100% certain since I've never heard from anyone with that actual SKU.

Micro Center has it for $160
Amazon $170
Newegg $170
Best Buy $190 on sale for $181

OE
The reason I went Best Buy was two fold.
1. Amazon raised the price, then lowered it again later today.
2. I figure I have a better chance of getting a NEW router from Best buy since its a newer 2917 than from Amazon. Amazon sometimes resells other peoples returns, some that are missing parts maybe was glitchy etc. Amazon has slipped over the years
3. Maybe the newest 86us have been improved via better quality control or possible manufacturing. I read quite a few issues in 2018.

I also read someone tried to price match with Best buy and they stuck to the 2917 as a diff model even know we all know they are the same. Not worth my 11.00 to argue with a store clerk.

From what I've read it seems the 68u and 66u are the best routers in terms of working. Which really leaves the 68u as the only supported option from Merlin.

I May put my 68P at the office (as I know its stable) and use the 86u at home until I trust it.

since its a newer 2917 than from Amazon

There is no newer 2917. Crop and enlarge from BestBuy's website:

ac86u.jpg

The reason I went Best Buy was two fold.
1. Amazon raised the price, then lowered it again later today.
2. I figure I have a better chance of getting a NEW router from Best buy since its a newer 2917 than from Amazon. Amazon sometimes resells other peoples returns, some that are missing parts maybe was glitchy etc. Amazon has slipped over the years
3. Maybe the newest 86us have been improved via better quality control or possible manufacturing. I read quite a few issues in 2018.

I also read someone tried to price match with Best buy and they stuck to the 2917 as a diff model even know we all know they are the same. Not worth my 11.00 to argue with a store clerk.

From what I've read it seems the 68u and 66u are the best routers in terms of working. Which really leaves the 68u as the only supported option from Merlin.

I May put my 68P at the office (as I know its stable) and use the 86u at home until I trust it.

They are all the same new router unless you buy used or refurbished. Routers are selling like hotcakes for a year now since everyone started working from home. Prices are up and supplies come and go... that ship blocking the Suez Canal will not help. The country of manufacture varies.

And there is no AC2917... from a year ago:
Is this "AC2917" model a Best Buy exclusive model – Q&A – Best Buy

Feel free to buy what you want... I'm just sharing information to be helpful.

OE

"Wireless-AC2917" is not a model name, it's a wireless class description. Router model names begin with RT/GT/BRT/etc...

Look just below the model description for the actual model name:

1616727017480.png

"Wireless-AC2917" is not a model name, it's a wireless class description. Router model names begin with RT/GT/BRT/etc...

Look just below the model description for the actual model name:

View attachment 32473

Yeah, it's not even a wireless class description... it's sales BS on a Best Buy web page. The wireless class description is AC2900.

OE

Yeah, it's not even a wireless class description... it's sales BS on a Best Buy web page. The wireless class description is AC2900.

OE
Well officially, there is no standard "Wifi class" definition. Anyone can make a phony class description and stick it to a router as a marketing attempt at luring people.

Well officially, there is no standard "Wifi class" definition. Anyone can make a phony class description and stick it to a router as a marketing attempt at luring people.

Yeah, I know but for our purposes here, Asus officially and consistently calls it AC2900 and does not ship a product labeled AC2917... that I've ever heard of.

Somebody please put this thread out of its misery!

OE

Yeah, I know but for our purposes here, Asus officially and consistently calls it AC2900 and does not ship a product labeled AC2917... that I've ever heard of.
That is correct.

They are all the same new router unless you buy used or refurbished. Routers are selling like hotcakes for a year now since everyone started working from home. Prices are up and supplies come and go... that ship blocking the Suez Canal will not help. The country of manufacture varies.

And there is no AC2917... from a year ago:
Is this "AC2917" model a Best Buy exclusive model – Q&A – Best Buy

Feel free to buy what you want... I'm just sharing information to be helpful.

OE
Are you saying last year Best buy only had a 2900 then sometime in 2020 then changed the packaging to 2917? I know they like doing that to avoid price matching and it shows its a Best Buy unit too.

So far I have not read about the different countries that manufacturer the 86u I know some are China and maybe taiwan but there could be more. If its a quality control issue then it very well could be why some have no issue while others do. Not read enough to see that pattern yet. Maybe someone has and knows.

As far as used or new thats a Amazon thing. Its not new or exclusive to routers. Its from the people that send stuff back and sometimes they just repackage and resell a defective units. I've seen more and more over the years to the point where ebay seems better than amazon.

That is correct.
The bottom line to me is how it is manufactured. Are they all made at the same plant? Even within the same plant the quality control can vary depending on the shift. If its more than one facility one and in a different part of the world that too can affect quality control.

I don't know that any of the 86u issues have anything to do with quality control. Are the 86u made in 2018 exactly the same as 2021 models? One would have to tear them down and look at the capacitors, heat sinks etc to know. Maybe someone has done this. Do they make tiny tweeks to revisions like MBs do. Sometimes the same MB will have different capcaitors than the one a year prior yet they are called the same thing just might be rev .2. Don't know if Asus does that as I've never compared the first run to the last production run of a model.

Do you think the issues with the 86u are user errror, firmware or quality control? You are probably in a better position to know than most.

A high percentage of the reviews are positive so either those people are missing the obvious or the others that are having issues just got duds.

Since new information came to light after I ordered. I was hoping that the issues of 2018 might have been silently fixed at the factory by minor improvements. That the year 2021 86us are have been tweeked just a little bit for improvements. But that could be a pipe dream and the reality is they are 100 percent the same hardware wise down to the same exact pcb and capacitor brand.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!