What's new

Best choice for a not so big house... but with big walls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lenn

New Around Here
Hi,

Ok, the title is maybe a bit "too much", but the idea is that my home is not so big (maybe max 15m/50ft between router and the farthest point), but the walls are not small and the router is a bit misplaced, as the incoming cable signal (and so the modem and the ASUS) is next to a metal shelf.

I bought recently a AX56U to replace the old AC66U I got in 2015, but the reach is not that good :
"Playing" with the antenna gives beter result, but it's difficult to keep the signal when at the farthest point.
I'm a bit reluctant to go Mesh just to win a few meters, as speed is not really that important for me (as long as HD streaming is ok).

So I wonder if returning the AX56U and replacing it by a AX58U or higher would really help ?
I've read in other posts that AX86U is very recommended here, but I wonder if it would really change a lot for me.
I found a good deal for an AX92U : Is it a good choice ?

Thanks to anybody who read all those questions :)

Hi,

Ok, the title is maybe a bit "too much", but the idea is that my home is not so big (maybe max 15m/50ft between router and the farthest point), but the walls are not small and the router is a bit misplaced, as the incoming cable signal (and so the modem and the ASUS) is next to a metal shelf.

I bought recently a AX56U to replace the old AC66U I got in 2015, but the reach is not that good :
"Playing" with the antenna gives beter result, but it's difficult to keep the signal when at the farthest point.
I'm a bit reluctant to go Mesh just to win a few meters, as speed is not really that important for me (as long as HD streaming is ok).

So I wonder if returning the AX56U and replacing it by a AX58U or higher would really help ?
I've read in other posts that AX86U is very recommended here, but I wonder if it would really change a lot for me.
I found a good deal for an AX92U : Is it a good choice ?

Thanks to anybody who read all those questions :)
If you do not want to spend the bucks on an AX86U, which I would recommend if you need AX, go for an AC86U. I feel it has better range than a lot of routers out there. With newer firmware it has gotten better and does not have a heating issue in spite of some comments.

Do the AX86U. You won't regret it. It's 5Ghz range is really good. Sometimes you have to pay to play the right way.

Thanks for your answers.

For the AC86U, I thought about it, as I have currently no WIFI6 devices, but the fact that it's already more than 3 years old makes me wonder about future support.

So maybe I will go for AX86U... Still thinking :)

I've never regretted spending a bit more to get something obviously better.

I have regretted 'saving' a few dollars but ending up spending more in total in a few short weeks/months though. :p

I've never regretted spending a bit more to get something obviously better.

I have regretted 'saving' a few dollars but ending up spending more in total in a few short weeks/months though. :p
Ok, It's very possible you got me on this one : It reminds me the money lost on an awful "no-name" Android Box...
After 1 year trying to use it, I bought the Shield, and I regretted... I didn't do it before... From Hell to Paradise. And since then, I bought a second Shield ;)

AX86U is a great router. However, an AX92U 2 pack will provide more signal coverage.

Last edited:
You may find the following link(s) useful too.

The AX86U is the Now version of the RTN66U

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!