What's new

Best choice for home network & 4G/LTE internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WuXeS

New Around Here
H!

I've moved into a new house and took my old 4G modem/router with me:

http://www.ztedevice.com/product/smart-home/Wireless-Home-Gateway/MF283

4g/LTE internet is my only option at the moment, so I'd like to optimize my setup in 2 ways:

1. Better upload/download handling - currently my download speeds are mostly fine, but upload is usually abysmal. I know it's heavily dependent on my 4G provider, but maybe I can squeeze out better ul/dl rates with better hardware?

2. I'd like to use streaming and chromecast, online gaming and several wireless devices connected at the same time. I think this might be too much for my ZTE and a good ac router would be make more sense.

Are there any really good routers with 4G/LTE modem functionality?

Can't speak to point 1.

For point 2, any AC1200, AC1750 or AC1900 router would probably improve your Wi-Fi performance. Check the SNB Router Ranker.

Thanks. Ideally I'd like to find such a router with built-in 4G modem (SIM card slot), but finding one seems tricky.

Thanks. Ideally I'd like to find such a router with built-in 4G modem (SIM card slot), but finding one seems tricky.
Your options will definitely be more limited and you're likely to get N vs. AC radio.

I suggest trying adding an AC router first. Easier and cheaper to do. If you don't see your desired performance improvement, then you can go for replacing the 4G router.

Cradlepoint is generally the go-to recommendation for 3G/4G routers. But they are pricey. Here is one with built-in modem.

Thank you. Cradlepoint doesn't seem to be available in my country.

I've found a couple of options, from the most expensive down:
AVM FRITZ!Box 6840
ASUS 4G-AC55U
Huawei E5186

Are they any good?

Also, by "adding an AC router" I assume you mean connecting one to my ZTE with a cable and disabling ZTE's WiFi?

Thank you. Cradlepoint doesn't seem to be available in my country.

I've found a couple of options, from the most expensive down:
AVM FRITZ!Box 6840
ASUS 4G-AC55U
Huawei E5186

Are they any good?
Sorry, I have no idea. Haven't tested any of them. Can't test 4G anyway.

Also, by "adding an AC router" I assume you mean connecting one to my ZTE with a cable and disabling ZTE's WiFi?
Yes.

The FritzBoxes have a good reputation - haven't seen one personally however...

Thanks anyway. :) I think I'll try to optimize my 4G with device placement or by adding an external antenna. I'll add something like the Neatgear R6400 to get better WiFi.

I think I'll try to optimize my 4G with device placement or by adding an external antenna

If your 4G device allows for external antennas, it'll likely have two ports for them - need to use both, as LTE is MIMO, and it uses two receivers (and sometimes two transmitters)...

See below (this is a Netgear branded Sierra Wireless mobile hotspot)

FullSizeRender.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!