What's new

Best config for AX86U and Orbi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clvk07

Hi

What would be the best way to connect virgin modem to AX86u running latest merlin to Orbi?

Currently I have Virgin in bridge mode. Previously connected Orbi in AP mode to Asus in router mode. I would like to use both Orbi router features and Asus router features. If I connect Modem to Asus in Router mode and then to Orbi in router mode and all clients connect to Orbi, do you see any issues? Should I do something with DMZ or NAT?

It may be easier to state what you want to achieve. What you're asking for isn't possible (100%) with a single network.

If you have both 'router features' available, that means you'll be running two networks from a single WAN/ISP connection.

Any single device will not benefit from the 'router features' of both, depending on what you're trying to achieve, specifically.

You would wind up with a double NAT which is technically fine. This will prevent some Asus features from being exposed to the hosts on the Orbi. You may be better off with the Orbi in AP mode as then most Asus features would work for Orbi hosts yet no guest network(s).

Morris

mainly I would like clients to use diversion and SKynet on the Asus and Armor and Wifi on the Orbi... AP mode will not allow to turn on armor....

In double NAT setup your Asus will have one client only - your Orbi. Asus won't see any other clients.

mainly I would like clients to use diversion and SKynet on the Asus and Armor and Wifi on the Orbi... AP mode will not allow to turn on armor....
I once had an Orbi. Worked pretty good but it lacked the features that even the Asus factory firmware has. The Netgear security features are not really worth complaining about and I sure did not want to pay for the Disney try at parental control. The RBK50 went out the door even after trying the custom firmware available at the time.

If you insist on using the Orbi for the mesh just set it up as an AP and mesh node. Otherwise sell it and invest in another Asus AX router to use as an AiMesh node.

Yes I agree Netgear firmware and webui not near Asus....... actually very far away...... Especially with Merlin... Had that set up myself before.. I have a quadband Orbi 6E with two satellites and WIfi speed and range is the best I have ever seen... (3 story house plus cabin in the garden), I get 500MB download everywhere... Hard to replicate..... Ye disney has been replaced by SPC, smart parental control, at a price and not worth.....

Need VLAN on the netgear as feature..... ALso use bitdefender AV at home, so with the same price I would get armor and licenses for home devices......

Having a setup with the asus as main router and connecting the netgear (different IP/SUBNET) internet port to the asus LAN would it increase security as all devices will have to go through two different security software (trendnet and Armor)? Also if the asus is comprimised, will it be harder for an attacker to compromise internal devices as they are connected to the ORBI in a different subnet?

would it increase security as all devices will have to go through two different security software

Yes, along with false positives coming from two different security software.

will it be harder for an attacker to compromise internal devices

Yes, Orbi has it's own firewall and security features, the attacker has to hack it too.

Don't mind false positives, everything seems vulnerable these days, log4j being lateast.. Don't think you are ever secure enough as long as internet is connected :)

I have given the netgear 192.168.1.1 address and the asus 192.168.200.1 address. From the orbi network I can access both Asus and Netgear webui, but if I try to ping a netgear client from the asus I can't. (which is good for segregation) Is there anything else I should be doing to ensure isolation of netgear clients from the asus or this setup is enough?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!