What's new

Best configuration between 2 QNAPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reno Hutch

New Around Here
I have a TS-231P w/2 2TB WD Reds in Raid-1 and I just acquired a TS-419P w/4 1TB WD Blacks currently un-configured. What's the best configuration that I can make between this hardware? The 2-bay is currently used for document backups and is just over 50% full. I also have a Raspberry Pi as a media server, would like to get rid of that. Media server data does not need to be backed up.

Suggestions?

The TS-419P is getting along in years - that being said - it's fairly decent as a NAS...

Get it and the TS-231P current on QTS - The TS-231P is likely the faster of the two...

The 419P - configure the drives as RAID10 - this will give you 2GB of storage - why not RAID5 (which gives 3GB) - well, the WD Blacks are desktop drives, not NAS oriented, and you can run into errors there... and consider the age of the WD Blacks, with RAID5, you can lose one, and still be in a situation where data is recoverable, with RAID10, you can lose two...

With current QTS, you can use QSync to sync up the NAS boxes, and Q'Center to manage them one step up from the WebGUI or QFinder...

thanks for the advice! I think I'll configure the 419 as Raid 10, move my important files over to benefit from the 2-bad-drive benefit. I'll use the 231 for my media server. Since that doesn't need to be backed up, I'll get 4GB of space!

And thanks for the QSync and Q'Center tips!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!