What's new

Best configuration with an Asus 56U, Dlink1522, Dlink2553, and Trendnet 639

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PETERECHS

New Around Here
In my current setup, I have a Trendnet 639 connected to the DSL modem, bridged to a Dlink 2553 which is then connected a dlink 1522 as an access point. This is necessary to extend the network across my whole house.

Everything works perfectly, but being a gadget freak, I picked up an Asus 56U because of the review I found here (Keep up the good work Tim)

First thing I am going to do is see if the 56U can reach all the way to the other end of the house without using any of the other boxes. But assuming it won't, what configuration (and modes) do you think would be best? Should the 5 GHz link be for the bridge or the second wireless network?

I would even be open to getting another Asus 56u, if you think that would be the best solution.

Thanks for the input.
pete

Range will be reduced for 5 GHz and you might end up with less available throughput for the far end AP. Also don't position the D-Link 2553 too far away. If it has a low signal, you'll get low bandwidth available to the AP. SeeEverything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 1: WDS

I'd try a pair of HomePlug AV or the NETGEAR AV500 adapters to connect to the far end AP. I suspect you'll end up with higher available bandwidth to the remote AP. NETGEAR XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit Reviewed

final solution

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reminder about powerline adapters.

I recently ordered a pair of Trendnet 303e2k powerline adapters, and am now using that to connect my Trendnet 639 to my 56U, which I have configured to act as an AP.

Everything looks to be running perfectly, and I am very impressed with the Asus 56U.

The only down side now though is that I have a spare 1522 and 2553, but thats okay, I am sure I will figure out some way to use them.

Thanks again for the tip.
pete

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!