What's new

Best Dual band AX86u or wait for next model ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Protos

Regular Contributor
Hello all, coming from my second failed AC5300 and done with triband at least from Asus.
Over the years have grown very fond of Merlin firmware and his privacy/security such as dns over tls .... so going to stick Ash*ts for his excellent work.

My question is as follows. Reading the boards I see that AX86u is considered top dog right now for a dual band ax router.
Should I purchase this or wait for next round of ax routers coming shortly ??

What models are coming soon?

If you need a new router, the RT-AX86U is the best one today.

Generally speaking are not new models released at CES every year ?
Thanks for confirming AX86u is the best.

Announced, maybe. Released, many months later.

I don't have the link to the post but someone recently posted information about a new Asus Wifi 6 router that looked like it would be marketed a tier above the AX86U. It had a newer 2Ghz BCM quad core processor, a larger flat footprint design more similar to the AX82U and four external antennas.

It might have improved marketing hardware specs but until it is released and users are able to review it hands on then we won't have the critical details. It will probably be months into 2022 before we see it available for purchase in the US/Canada. If and when it is available it's cost almost certainly will be in the $300 to $400 USD price range. For now the AX86U remains overall as king of the hill not only for Asus Wifi 6 routers but among all the major brands.

Last edited:
I don't have the link to the post but someone recently posted information about a new Asus Wifi 6 router that looked like it would be marketed a tier above the AX86U. It had a newer 2Ghz BCM quad core processor, a larger flat footprint design more similar to the AX82U and four external antennas.

It might have improved marketing hardware specs but until it is released and users are able to review it hands on then we won't have the critical details. It will probably be months into 2022 before we see it available for purchase in the US/Canada. If and when it is available it's cost almost certainly will be in the $300 to $400 USD price range. For now the AX86U remains overall as king of the hill not only for Asus Wifi 6 routers but among all the major brands.
It should be in stock this month.

$400 pre-order:

After the GT-AXE11000 debacle I hope this ends up being more than just another flashy GT design with great marketing specs.

$400 USD :oops:

Anyone who was upset about the cost of the AX86U won't be happy about the price of this one.

Congrats on your purchase! You should be very happy. As I am sure you know from reading this forum it's a very solid reliable Wifi 6 router.
Thanks! I don't know if I need 2 routers, but it was either this, or the AXE11000 at the same price ($500). I'm just going for this for the rmerlin support I guess.

Thanks! I don't know if I need 2 routers, but it was either this, or the AXE11000 at the same price ($500). I'm just going for this for the rmerlin support I guess.
You made the better choice and it's a Merlin supported router. You will find out if you need two. If you have a large area to cover then two AX86Us can be the backbone of a tremendous AiMesh system. If you need only one you could consider returning or selling the second one. $250 is a really good price you paid and to modify an old saying... two birds in the hand are better than one bird in the hand or two birds in the bush.

You made the better choice and it's a Merlin supported router. You will find out if you need two. If you have a large area to cover then two AX86Us can be the backbone of a tremendous AiMesh system. If you need only one you could consider returning or selling the second one. $250 is a really good price you paid and to modify an old saying... two birds in the hand are better than one bird in the hand or two birds in the bush.
Will let you know once I have it set up! I don't mind buying 2. R7800 currently on first floor has a hard time hitting basement bedroom, but works fine on first and second floor. The only wifi devices are the Fujitsu scanner, Samsung phones (N20U, S21U, Fold3) and tablet (S7+). Idk how the 5G WiFi coverage compares to R7800, but hopefully it is better. Was just time to upgrade honestly...

Can you do AiMesh with 2 Asus routers wirelessly ? Without any cords.

Will let you know once I have it set up! I don't mind buying 2. R7800 currently on first floor has a hard time hitting basement bedroom, but works fine on first and second floor. The only wifi devices are the Fujitsu scanner, Samsung phones (N20U, S21U, Fold3) and tablet (S7+). Idk how the 5G WiFi coverage compares to R7800, but hopefully it is better. Was just time to upgrade honestly...
Ok, Great! You are going to like this router. It's going to be a noticeable upgrade for you especially for 5Ghz.

Can you do AiMesh with 2 Asus routers wirelessly ? Without any cords.
Yes, easily.

Ok, Great! You are going to like this router. It's going to be a noticeable upgrade for you especially for 5Ghz.

Yes, easily.
About to set it up now! I just download the merlin firmware for the RT-AX86U and am reading up to figure out what I need to do to swap out the R7800 and add the second router.
I watched a YouTube video on how to flash custom firmware on Asus routers, and it seemed easier to find the firmware update section than on my Netgear R7800.
I assume there isn't much to do except turn of QoS, channel selection (after scanning for what channels are in use around me - no 5g WiFi signals), and then set up AiMesh.
I was reading through L&LD's "Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021" post here because this would be my first "mesh" I'm setting up.