What's new

Best file system to use for USB HDDs on Asus Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

infamous_pb

Occasional Visitor
I'm sure this has been debated to death, but I've been looking into this and haven't found anything definitive. I currently have an RT-N66U (and am planning on getting a RT-AC87U soon). What might be the better, compatible, and faster file system to use on a USB HDD for these routers? ext2? ext3? ext4? ntfs? other?
Or - is there a particular file system that these routers use natively?
(or maybe its different for each Asus model? Like ext3 works better for RT-N66U whereas ext4 works better on RT-AC87U?)

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this has been adequately answered).

The real answer; try them all and see which works best for you.

Honestly, I gave up caring because the USB performance on the RT-N66U was so unimpressive. Btw, the RT-N66U does not support ext4, iirc.

The real answer; try them all and see which works best for you.

Honestly, I gave up caring because the USB performance on the RT-N66U was so unimpressive. Btw, the RT-N66U does not support ext4, iirc.

Yeah, I haven't been too happy with the USB performance on the N66U. That's why I'm leaning toward the AC87U. Does the AC87U have better NTFS support?

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but I've been looking into this and haven't found anything definitive. I currently have an RT-N66U (and am planning on getting a RT-AC87U soon). What might be the better, compatible, and faster file system to use on a USB HDD for these routers? ext2? ext3? ext4? ntfs? other?
Or - is there a particular file system that these routers use natively?
(or maybe its different for each Asus model? Like ext3 works better for RT-N66U whereas ext4 works better on RT-AC87U?)

Thanks in advance (and sorry if this has been adequately answered).
https://www.hqt.ro/how-to-format-usb-drive/

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but I've been looking into this and haven't found anything definitive

It's undoubtedly that this has been debated to death, but I wanna raise the question again :)
There is plenty of time passed and I think you can describe your experience with EXT4 FS on USB. Or maybe somebody else who have such experience.
Does it matter what I use, small USB stick or 1TB HDD via USB enclosure, the recommendation still will be the same? In the official manual I found only

Code:
The wireless router works with most USB HDDs/Flash disks (up to 2TB
size) and supports read-write access for FAT16, FAT32, EXT2, EXT3,
and NTFS.

but I assume this info is outdated and my AC68-U supports EXT4 as well.

but I assume this info is outdated and my AC68-U supports EXT4 as well.

I have a AC68 also, if I convert my HDD via USB enclosure (currently using ntfs I believe) to EXT4 (assuming it is supported), will I still be able to connect the USB enclosure to my Windows laptop and read the HD (if necessary)?

There's a lot of filesystems out there - even on Linux - but with Linux, the EXT4 filesystem is the most common, and it gets the most attention - and most Linux pros know and understand it.

There are add0n packages for Mac and Windows to at least read (if not read/write) EXT3/4...

I use EXT4 on Linux - it's sound, it's mature, it's fast, and it's native... if one is using flash, one can always tune/tweak things there, and this is all well documented.

I started with ext4 on my N66u and then when I moved to the AC68U I changed to ext2 based on @thelonelycoder recommendations in the AB-Solutions install section here.
https://www.ab-solution.info/install/requirements.html
  • A permanently plugged in USB device*** on the router, formatted with ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system (ext4 ARM devices only), ext2 highly recommended
Entware, pixelserv-tls, and AB-Solution installed quicker and seems to run better (yes, I know the AC68U is head and shoulders above the N66U).

One user here on SNB forums had trouble with AB-Solution and the solution was changing from ext4 to ext2 on his USB stick solved it. YMMV.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...king-solution-3-8-1.37511/page-40#post-331130

Last edited:
Hi please same advise,
I have ordered a 4TB WD My Passport.
I intend to use it with the Asus RT-AC68U mainly to record tv (via tvheadend)
Skall I create deferents partitions?
File system ext4?
Please advise

Hi please same advise,
File system ext4?
Please advise

I'd advice you to stick to ext4. My experience with NTFS was unsuccessful, but I want to highlight that it is my personal experience, others may vary.

I'd advice you to stick to ext4. My experience with NTFS was unsuccessful, but I want to highlight that it is my personal experience, others may vary.
Thanks I haven't received it yet but i will format to ext4 , I think when it arrives is NTFS.
Whats your experience use the drive as it is or make a second partition?
Thanks

I personally partitioned my 2TB drive with about 1/3 as ext3 and the remaining as NTFS. Haven't had any issues with my AC 68U. When needed I've pulled the drive and plugged into my PC with no issues as all my relevant backup data is on the NTFS partition.

Hi please same advise,
File system ext4?
Please advise
I am in the same exact place... I got the 4TB EasyShare WD (3.5 inch external). I was running NTFS which ran alright on the AC68U but formatted it to ext4 using parititonguru... AC68U didnt want to see the drive at first but a reboot of the router and it came right up. Currently restoring my files to it via SMB but only transferring at 30 Mb/s :(

I'm using 4TB WD My Book wih EXT4 for more than 1.5 years without one single issue, works great. Asus RT-AC68U

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!