What's new

Best media bridge or ethernet-to-wifi adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgl

Very Senior Member
I've got a couple of ethernet-only printers to connect to my network. They are not close to any wired jack, nor does it seem worth the trouble to run a cable to where they are. I'd been using a spare wireless router to connect them, but I've retired that gear and don't want to un-retire it. I experimented with a powerline bridge but am less than satisfied with the results, so I'm looking for some more-modern wireless solution.

I know that I could run an ASUS router in media bridge mode and it would do what I need here, but that's overkill from a cost and complexity (= bugs) standpoint. I've lost faith in ASUS' ability to ship non-buggy firmware, so buying more of their gear is not really what I want to do. Does anyone know of recommendable gear that's designed strictly as a media bridge? I browsed Amazon for a bit but what I found was (a) pretty obsolete gear, 802.11n or below, and (b) brands I'd never heard of.

Another approach could be single-client WiFi-to-ethernet adapters, but what I found in that search suffered from (a) and (b), as well as (c) dubious configuration options. I don't use WPS and I don't plan to start here, so there has to be some other way to set up the unit's WiFi configuration.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted.

Unretire what you have and know what works.

Otherwise, use the cheapest router you can find at a garage sale that has media bridge mode available.

And Ethernet to WiFi adaptor? A, B, C.

Dedicated Wi-Fi media bridges' time has come and gone. If you don't want to use a router in bridge mode, look at Wi-Fi extenders. Most have an Ethernet port to bridge Ethernet devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!