What's new

Best Merlin-supported router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muyfa666

Regular Contributor
What would be the best Merlin-supported router to buy today? I'm talking brute force-best, range and speed is the focus.

Would it be better to go for a mature AC-router or a new AX one?

Three options as I see it.
1. The rt-ax88u is the most powerful with a quad core 1.8GHz processor, 1GB RAM and 256MB flash, 8 LAN ports, and full 4x4 MIMO on both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz, not to mention the 802.11ax advantage.
2. The rt-ac5300 is limited to 1.4GHz quad core with half the RAM and flash space, and only 4 LAN ports. It does have the advantage of a second 5GHz band though.
3. The rt-ac86u is *dual* core 1.8GHz processor with 512GB RAM and 256GB flash with 4 LAN ports. It has 4x4 MIMO on 5GHz and 3x3 MIMO on 2.4GHz. It is arguably more mature than the rt-ax88u, though obviously less powerful.

Raw power is option 1.
A bit long in the tooth, but two 5GHz bands is option 2.
More mature and powerful "enough" is option 3.

What would be the best Merlin-supported router to buy today? I'm talking brute force-best, range and speed is the focus.
Asked many time with the same answer: Always the latest/newest model supported! ;)

Actually it's the AC86U... :cool:

I actually have a RT-AC2900 (AC86U) today and it's working fine, but I'm extending/upgrading it. How's the AC88U? Not worth to consider?

I actually have a RT-AC2900 (AC86U) today and it's working fine, but I'm extending/upgrading it. How's the AC88U? Not worth to consider?
Hi,

I replaced my RT-AC5300 with RT-AX88U yesterday :) I am quite happy with RT-AX88U apart from the need to setting 5GHz Control Channel to "36" instead of default "Auto". I wanted the added processing power and additional Memory of this router to run some of the stuffs like most do here.

If you intend to use RT-AC5300 in an AiMesh environment, I would strongly suggest that you skip this RT-AC5300 Tri-Band Router. The 5.0 GHz-2 band is used exclusive for AiMesh backhaul (Hiddened) even if you have Ethernet Backhaul connected between AiMesh Router to the AiMesh Nodes.

Would a RT-AX88U and a RT-AC2900 play nice in a AiMesh setup?

And why is noone commenting on the RT-AC88U? Is it that bad?

Hmmm... I guess it's RT-AX88U then. Do I have to turn some stuff off to make it compatible with AC equipment thou?

Would a RT-AX88U and a RT-AC2900 play nice in a AiMesh setup?

And why is noone commenting on the RT-AC88U? Is it that bad?

Your current AC86U and the AX88U are same processor arch just one is dual core vs quad and both have encryption logic built in and are considered the newer generation.

The AC88U is part of the older series and a generation below only with more lan ports. So to go from what you current have would be a downgrade minus the lan ports.

so that is why no one compares the AC86U vs AC88U.

Maybe wait for the updated RT-AX86U then.

Yes, maybe I will. The RT-AC2900 is really working well, so I might keep it for now.

range/speed...bang for buck...
seriously, just buy another of the same and mesh them with a wired backhaul. you'll be golden for another 5 years or so, til they get the new protocol and it's issues (known and not) sorted out
I regret not buying two when I upgraded...but merlin didn't support AiMesh at that point.

How I'd like to see AiMesh extended in the future is for the all of the processors in the nodes to mesh together for your own personal bot-net

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!