What's new

Best method of extending RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KeenWifiUser

New Around Here
Love my RT-AX86U so thanks for the recommendation on here but I need to range extend it and use my existing cat 6a network as a wired backhaul. Which is the best AP should I buy?

I feel that I need a minimum of two additional APs that support wifi 6 due to amount of users and objects in my home.

At present I have 2 x old Apple Airports Express acting as wired range extenders but they are slow. I feel maybe mesh is best since I want a seamless experience as i move around plus the same for my guest network

which AP is best?

thanks for your help

AX68U or another AX86U. Use them in AiMesh. Avoid devices that are just access points!

If you have 1Gbps ISP speeds, the only option is another RT-AX86U.

I feel that I need a minimum of two additional APs that support wifi 6 due to amount of users and objects in my home.
If signal is a problem, then you'll need more APs, but one router can handle a hundred devices without issue. You shouldn't need more APs just because of having a lot of clients.

Router placement can also eliminate the need for APs. I have on location with a single RX-88U that wanted to do a mesh system because they have a central fireplace made of stone that blocks WiFi. By careful consideration we located a shelf in the closet of a spare bedroom that covered the whole house minus a 5-foot wide strip in the doorway between the dining room and living room. It's the "shadow" of the fireplace.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!