What's new

Best modem only for BT ADSL broadband

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beardofturtles

Occasional Visitor
Doing some serious reworking of my home network and settled for 4G broadband for my main service. However I'm going to retain my BT ADSL as a back up so looking for a good modem that communicates well with an ADSL connection. Should I just keep the Home Hub (ver 3 i think) and turn off the wifi or should i get something much better? I've been using an Asus DSL-AC88U and i've definitely noticed an increase in download speeds (direct ethernet) from the HH so theres definitely something to be said for upgrading the HH even just for wired ADSL connections. I should note i'm selling the AC88U because its overkill for my needs now.

Will be using it to serve a direct ethernet connection to my gaming PC (to download large games and game updates so i don't use all my 4G data), a ps4 for the same reasons and a wifi powerline adapter for a guests staying in my airbnb annex. I'll be turning off the wifi and just using it as a modem and for wired connections.

Hello i also use BT and i use a Billion BiPAC 7800N as a modem only (bridged plus WiFi turned off) with a Linksys WRT1900ACS which works great for ADSL plus it has a hidden menu so you can tweak the SNR to get a little extra speed on your line

Have also use the BiPAC 7800N with a Netgear R7800 plus a Asus 86u without any problems

BT HH5 with OpenWRT. Was absolutely amazing and miss mine.