What's new

Best motherboard for RDR 2 Gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @lyankian.

What is RDR 2 gaming?

Asus makes the best and most stable motherboards, IME. For any type of use, even gaming.

(Consider this a bump to your post). :)

Motherboard is largely irrelevant to your games or applications. First, decide on the CPU as this will determine which motherboard you can use.

The main reasons to chose a specific motherboard once you have decided on the CPU is the features it offers, the reputation of its manufacturer, and the price you pay for it. There is no performance difference between different motherboards outside of statistical variance.

Don't waste your money on expensive "Gaming" motherboards with tons of features you may never need or use. Anything popular from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI with fast enough CPU and enough RAM will do. Get better GPU and more stable power supply instead. Upgrade your monitor for better experience.

Don't waste your money on expensive "Gaming" motherboards with tons of features you may never need or use. Anything popular from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI with fast enough CPU and enough RAM will do. Get better GPU and more stable power supply instead. Upgrade your monitor for better experience.
That's great idea.

I would get simple MB with the fastest CPU I can afford and 16GB RAM to start. The saved money will re-direct to the fastest GPU I can afford and matching power supply. I would give priority to CPU's with fastest single core performance over multi-core CPU's with combined high performance. Your games may or may not use all the cores available. I would also pick a video accelerator from the same manufacturer as the motherboard.

Many of my customer's kids found great improvement in their games with more than 16GB RAM. Particularly when they're also streaming concurrently too.

Intel CPUs are generally superior and the less costly option today. The Alder Lake processors coming in early 2022 are game changers, if you can wait for them.

And you can find many links to support the opposite view too.

I also don't play games for a long time now. Just passing on hopefully relevant information.

If the budget allows - 32GB RAM won't hurt, but the expected improvement is in 10% range, in specific games only and under specific conditions. This is what the tests show everywhere for popular games and only if CPU/GPU is not the limitation. If the budget is unlimited - yes, sure!

I think this is a great board https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-f-gaming-model/ (depending on your budget)

But like said above it might pay to wait for more Z690 boards if you want to go down the DDR5 Alderlake 12th gen route.

Re: mem, 16gb is kinda fine now, but if I was upgrading today would definately go 32.

My bug bear rn is that gfx cards are double the price they should be. I want to upgrade now, but it's gonna hurt me to buy a 500 quid card for a grand.