What's new

Best practice suggestions and guidelines for settings in firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ggeinec

Occasional Visitor
I finally just updated the three and a half year old firmware in my RT-N66U to the most current firmware. :)

Of course I see there are many changes to the settings that are available in this new firmware.

I realize there is a lot of 'it depends' on how to set settings, but is there a document or someplace I can go online to find general best practice suggestions and guidelines for the settings in this latest firmware?

Thanks!

a) factory reset after update to newest firmware and re-config the router (in your case John's save/restore tool can help as it only handles the user entered settings - as long as you stay on the 380.x firmware - 382/384 is not supported)
b) leave everything on default unless you NEED and UNDERSTAND the consequences of the change
c) be happy with your good old N66U (I have still one as backup in case my both AC87Us would fail...)! :cool:

Last edited:
a) factory reset after update to newest firmware and re-config the router . . . (rest snipped)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did the factory reset and I manually re-entered my settings. All is well.

I do have a question for anyone who cares to weigh in . . ..

In Advanced Settings\Administration\System\Local Access Config\Authentication Method the choices are HTTP - HTTPS - BOTH.

What exactly does this setting address, and what is the preferred choice for it?

Thanks!

It's asking whether you want your browser to use HTTP, HTTPS or both when access the router's web interface from your LAN.

It's asking whether you want your browser to use HTTP, HTTPS or both when access the router's web interface from your LAN.

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, that's what I thought. I would think HTTPS is more secure and the preferred choice, correct?

Do I have to do any additional set up to use HTTPS or is it a simple switch back and forth between the two? (I don't want to lock myself out!)

Thanks!

if you connect directly via WiFi you can always connect to the router.
Save your settings than even if locked out you can reset and load your old settings and everything is back.

Well, my good old RT-N66U hasn't been updated since 2012 I guess. It's still running 3.0.0.4.270 firmware :D I'm planing to upgrade it to the latest firmware, but I dunno if there will be any advantages for me. And can I just update the firmware via web interface? Hope it wont brick my router.

Well, my good old RT-N66U hasn't been updated since 2012 I guess. It's still running 3.0.0.4.270 firmware :D I'm planing to upgrade it to the latest firmware, but I dunno if there will be any advantages for me. And can I just update the firmware via web interface? Hope it wont brick my router.
One thing you will notice, and that is a much lower range due to RF output limitations.
So stay on your current firmware if range is of importance to you.

The good old 3.0.0.4.270 may not be as good as you think ;)
Performance was excellent, but since 2013.01.29 (the release date of 3.0.0.4.270) a huge amount of security issues is fixed in newer firmware.
Until my RT-N66U retired as router I kept it up to date without any issues, now it is in operation as Media Bridge and still up to date. If wireless range is very important for you, it may be a bit degraded due to law enforcement in the newer firmware (honestly I never noticed any down scaling of range).
I suggest to update, revert to factory defaults and manual configure your work horse again.

you still can use John's fork L-build with older wireless drivers for stronger WiFi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!