1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Best practice suggestions and guidelines for settings in firmware?

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by ggeinec, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

1. ggeinec

ggeinec New Around Here

I finally just updated the three and a half year old firmware in my RT-N66U to the most current firmware. :)

Of course I see there are many changes to the settings that are available in this new firmware.

I realize there is a lot of 'it depends' on how to set settings, but is there a document or someplace I can go online to find general best practice suggestions and guidelines for the settings in this latest firmware?

Thanks!

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

a) factory reset after update to newest firmware and re-config the router (in your case John's save/restore tool can help as it only handles the user entered settings - as long as you stay on the 380.x firmware - 382/384 is not supported)
    b) leave everything on default unless you NEED and UNDERSTAND the consequences of the change
    c) be happy with your good old N66U (I have still one as backup in case my both AC87Us would fail...)! :cool:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 2:20 AM
    Kal-EL likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!