What's new

Best router for dual WAN functionality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

autopilot

Occasional Visitor
I currently have an Asus AX88U, which I bough primarily for its dual WAN function.

I don’t actually use load balancing or failover strictly, I have it configured (forwarding rules) so that some devices on my network always use WAN1 and some use WAN2. This is because the two internet connection I have are suited to different uses, but I still want all my devices accessible on a single network.

Unfortunately, while it works well most of the times, it does have its issues and ASUS frequently break things with firmware updates.

Does anyone here do anything similar? What routers that have this functionality do people use or recommend?

What "issues"? It's difficult to make alternative recommendations if we don't know specifically what's at issue.

Also, most router firmware upgrades come w/ issues of their own from time to time. That's just the nature of the beast. It's why many of us (myself included) do NOT recommend dirty upgrades, but instead a clean install w/ manual reconfiguration.

What "issues"? It's difficult to make alternative recommendations if we don't know specifically what's at issue.

Also, most router firmware upgrades come w/ issues of their own from time to time. That's just the nature of the beast. It's why many of us (myself included) do NOT recommend dirty upgrades, but instead a clean install w/ manual reconfiguration.

There has been various issues with the dual WAN features. But I’m not looking to trouble shoot my router, I’m looking for recommendations for routers with similar functionality.

Well all I can say then is that at least w/ Merlin, @Ranger802004 has developed a script to handle Dual WAN, presumably better than the firmware, that corrects some known issues. That's why I asked, in case it was relevant.

But if you're just looking for hardware alternatives w/o such considerations, hopefully others will have recommendations.