What's new

Best router to buy for wired house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyf

New Around Here
If I want to put a wireless router in each room of my house, where each of the rooms has a wired ENET port, what is the recommended approach? Do I need to worry about AiMesh?

Too many wifi routers will create a chaos. Only use 1 wifi router. Then use ethernet network switches for each room connected to the main router. That's it.

I have a 3 stories home and I have a RT-AC86U as main router and then on the other floors wired connected RT-AC68U and in AiMesh configuration.
So I have some hardware directly connected to all the routers and I still can use the phones and tablets on the Wi-Fi and just roam thru the house without a problem

If I want to put a wireless router in each room of my house, where each of the rooms has a wired ENET port, what is the recommended approach? Do I need to worry about AiMesh?

The Asus AiMesh approach using Asus routers that support AiMesh would be:

ISP/modem <wired> AiMesh router <wired/wireless> AiMesh node.

Connect wired/LAN and wireless/WLAN clients to any AiMesh router/node. Add an unmanaged switch where you need more wired/LAN connections.

Some Asus routers can serve WiFi to a "very large home", so you may only need one or a few such routers to cover your home. Too much WiFi is not a good thing, so don't buy/install more than you need. One in every room is too much unless the rooms are concrete bunkers.

Given existing wires for use as wired backhauls, you would only need dual band routers.

Consider the RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U for the AiMesh router node. And same or lessor RT-AC68U or RT-AC66U_B1 for the remote node(s). But if you only need one remote node, get two of the same AC86U or AX86U for easier maintenance and hardware backup.

The AX86Us have 2.5 Gbps ports so if your existing wires are capable, you could could wire 2.5 Gbps backhauls vs. 1 Gbps.

Map out the ISP/modem and router location and general node locations to know how it all will interconnect with your existing wires/layout.

Protect the ISP/modem and AiMesh router with a UPS for good measure network stability and data security.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!