1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Best RT-AX88U Aimesh node

Discussion in 'ASUS AX Routers & Adapters' started by Icewin, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Icewin

Icewin New Around Here

Hello.

I have an ax88u as the main router and am looking for an Aimesh node. I'm considering either an ac86u or an ax88u. Which one should I choose? I don't care much about wifi 6. I care most about the best wifi coverage and speed.

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Either should work well enough. A second RT-AX88U will be much better. Because it will be able to connect at AX speeds to the main unit making everything faster. :)

3. sanke1

sanke1 Senior Member

AC86U will have problem when you enable WPA3 on AX88U. I have tried it and it sucks hard. The mesh never happens on WPA3 enabled band. I am using a 2nd AX88U and things are quite smooth now and I don't have to worry about model combinations and compatibility between them.

4. digits n bits

digits n bits Regular Contributor

I’ve got my 58U in a mesh with my 88U and it works great. You have a 58U have you used it in a mesh?

5. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

@digits n bits, no, I don't. I have set up an RT-AC86U with a second RT-AC86U in AiMesh though.

Followed @OzarkEdge's notes and was pleasantly surprised how well it works. :)